Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Why Did You Come To Mind

Why
at times
does an item come to mind,
 you smile
and remember...

An item I have had for years
a two gallon crock container.
Remember asking my mother for it
many years ago.

I can remember my father grilling
 on an outdoor
grill and filling this container with
fresh lemonade.

It has traveled from home to home
over the years with One Woman.
Now it sits under my special
very old chop block,
which has a special story.

Finding the old farm house
was a special joy.
This type of home was something I had always dreamed of.
So different from the upscale city home that
soon would be sold.
A divorce would be over soon and I was starting a new
life with my two youngest children with me.
Two oldest were in college and this was a wonderful
place for my family in the years to come.

The young couple were leaving for another state
and there was an item sitting in the kitchen that caught my eye.
A very large and old chop block.
I asked if they would like to sell it and and the answer was "no."

In a few weeks I received a call that they were loading everything
for their move and could not load the heavy chop block and did
I still want it.    My answer "yes."

So it was left in the old home for me and has been in my possession
for about 35 years.   It is so special to me and has moved from home
to home with me and now back on the property where I originally
purchased it.
It is solid wood
and so heavy it takes 2 or 3 men to move it.

Hopefully it never has to leave this cottage....

4 comments:

mel said...

Such a beautiful space you live in.

Judy said...

I love the "old" things the most! I have a crock like that one--my great grandma, my grandma, my mother and I used it to make 14 day sweet pickles in. Now it holds flowers on my front porch. It comes in my house to live in the winter so it won't crack. That chop block table is fantastic!! My place now, is small, so I only have small old items left from the Farmhouse. Happy Mother's Day.

the wild magnolia said...

I too, become attached to certain items. A bowl, spoon, towel, rug, knick knacks.....

yours are lovely, the crock, and surety the butcher block table.

and the memories, we carry them with us, thankfully.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

mel, Judy and Sandy, thank you.
Have a special day tomorrow :)