Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Southern Tradition

As far back as I can remember my mother, grandmother and great-grandmother - always

served black eyed peas on New Years day. I was always told this would bring you good luck in the coming year.

The little girls have been delivered to their other grandmother and I have black eyed peas simmering. Chopped onions and ham added to them.

Also I have been craving turnip greens. There is nothing in the stores that look like the turnip greens I grow ( I will be sure to put many cartons in the freezer next fall). So I purchased collard greens. They are full of vitamins and so good for you. They are simmering with garlic and onions.
Will make a small pan of corn bread, glass of sweet tea and slice of lemon ice box pie, and this will be my good luck dinner for this new day.

7 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

Yes, it is blackeyed peas with ham, rice, sweet potatoes,cornbread and iced tea!

Again, wishing you a Happy New Year!

Beverly said...

I just had my black eyed peas and cornbread a few minutes ago....

Sharon said...

My daughter commented this evening that black-eyed peas were not on the menu. Tonight was my husband's "birthday dinner" and his choice was spaghetti so no hoppin' john this year. There's always next year....

-teri said...

Many of my quilting friends hail from the south and black eyed peas seem to be the central theme of New Years day dinner. My husband and I are both from the north and unfamiliar with black eyed peas...we had taco salad. Hope your new years day was wonderful.

One Woman's Journey said...

WM, Beverly, Sharon and -teri, thank you for visiting this second day of the year ..

Sky said...

black eyed peas with onions and diced green chilis cooked with a ham bone, white rice, seasoned turnips or collards, tomatoes stewed with onions and a pinch of sugar, cornbread made in the iron skillet and sliced ito pie wedges, pork chops, and chow-chow and pear relish for condiments - my favorite new year's day meal. wish i had made it! :(

One Woman's Journey said...

Sky, we love the same kind of food:)