Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Cast Iron Skillet Steak

Rarely eat meat
but have been craving a steak for a long long time.

Read with interest on google how good a steak
taste cooked in an iron skillet instead of on grill.
When in local grocery I spotted a less then 8 oz
Fillet Mignon at a special price and put in my cart.

Now eating my main meal between 1:30 and 2:00
healthy breakfast and snack in the evening.

Took out my very old medium iron skillet, a little oil
and soon it was red hot (turned the fan on so smoke detector would not activate.)
My beautiful small steak had been sitting out of frig for about 10 minutes
so it is not cold.  Used sea salt generously and placed in skillet.

Cooked about 6 minutes on one side and then with tongs turned it over and
continued cooking.  Taking out of pan and put in an oven platter and rubbed
some butter on it and let it sit a little to cool down.  There is enough to 2 more
meals for this one.   Storms moving into my area this afternoon and do not
have to be concerned over "what do I eat."

Oh my
it was so tasty along with potatoes (did not use oven to bake) made mashed,
arugula, with chopped home grown tomato, cucumber and olive oil.
Small can of Le Sueur peas and finished off with a slice of angel food cake
from Trader Joe's (a miniature cake described as the best in the world.)
Steak looks rare in image but it is medium

Sharing  that the grill purchased at Lowe's over the weekend
is being picked up at no charge as they have a truck in this area and I am returning.  Cord will not reach the outlet on porch, instructions say do not use an extension cord
and deck is at 98 yesterday afternoon.   Do not need another
something in this small home, the expense, something to clean and may seldom use.
It is so pretty and if it was a different time in my life - I might keep.

 I share a lot about food and it is a
challenge to cook for one when you always cooked for a big family but
it is growing easier..

4 comments:

Pienosole said...

And thank you for sharing! I completely "get" it being hard to cook for one. Difficult to stay motivated. Your postings motivate me. :-)

Wishing you a joyful day!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Pienosole, thank you :) Another reason on food sharing - my children - gives them ideas and they know what mom is eating :)

Sharon said...

Your meal looks healthy and tasty. Sorry about the grill but wise to return something you're not able to use on hot days. I get ideas from your food postings.

Tabor said...

I tend to cook one meal for the two of us and freeze the other half if it can be frozen well. If not it becomes another dinner in the week. When I am along I get lazy in cooking, but if I was alone for a longer time I would go back to cooking full meals as I do love to eat! That food looks really scrumptious, by the way.