Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Small Town Traffic and Sights on Country Road


Rained last night
the temperature at present very cool
like  50.
It is delightful to me and well aware heat will start returning tomorrow.

One of the joys of living in a rural area use to be not having much traffic on the road
Not the case lately as the roads were filled with vehicles on my trip to town yesterday morning..
I wondered "where have all the people come from and where are they going in such a hurry?"

It seems I am accomplishing less lately.
Use to be on the road for the town trips by 8:00, and now it is later.
As I hurry to leave my cottage and finally get on the road
I wonder why am I always in a hurry?
In past years I thought if I was on time for an appointment that I was late.
Always arrived 15 minutes early.
Now it seems I hurry and arrive just on time and with my mindset - I think I am late.

To do list was not completed and will try and leave at my early time one morning.
Did manage stop at one small market, purchased truck license, post office, fuel in truck and bank stop.

Returning home and down my country road the sides of the road are filled with Queen Ann's Lace - have tried growing them in my garden
for years with no success.  May try again....
For long stretches the wild orange lilies are lovelier then ever.
Fields of green lawn like wheat just weeks ago are  now golden and ready for harvest.
Came across a turtle in the middle of the road and stopped to take his picture thinking of his
beautiful colors.
He sure was dirty - looked like he had been in mud hole.

I am having thoughts of not cutting grass as you come down my gravel driveway or on the road in front of my property.   Want to encourage the wild flowers to grow.     I know that was my intention when I moved back to the country and seems I just started cutting and grooming and now it looks
like the city and I do not like it.

A new country eating place has opened on the winding road and the scent of the wood and the meat cooking over the coals is so enticing.
It lured me to stop and inspect their menu
Rarely eat like this at present time but sometime might pick up a plate of tenderloin to go.
I inquired if the side of cold slaw was home made and not purchased in a bag and mixed
I was told they grate the cabbage.   That is a plus from me as I remember my mother's slaw
and how she would grate the cabbage and chop other ingredients to put in it.   Lately I cannot
hold part of the cabbage to grate but she did in 80 plus years.   I do not think many people do
this anymore.

Special friends that read my sharing and my children and grandchildren - peaceful weekend wishes are sent out to you from one who lives at
the edge of the wood...

Images did not download in the order I wanted them too
but will not mess of this post redoing it :)

14 comments:

sallysmom said...

I love that picture of the turtle. Was he muddy all over?
Sallysmom

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

I think that is a snapping turtle! Also I don't think I've ever made homemade coleslaw in my life. How sad is that. ;)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

sallysmom - dirty all over :)
my daughter said he looked like a snapping turtle - I did not try to move as I was standing in the middle of road and sure did not want an approaching car to come around the corner.
My Jamie, you might be correct. Nothing like homemade....

Judy said...

I love the idea of the wildflowers. When I had my plans for a home in the woods--I wasn't going to mow anything. Just let the "lawn" area around the house remain wild and have long troughs built into my long cement patio (in back of house) for veggies and flowers.

the wild magnolia said...

Your countryside is lush with variety, I love that.

When you find a jam up restaurant, specializing in good meat cooked to perfection, take advantage. I have a feeling this place serves good food.

I do make homemade coleslaw. We love cole slaw.

Do hope this weeks end gives you pleasure. Be well.

Take care of you.

((hugs))

Tabor said...

yes, it is a snapping turtle and glad you did not try to pick him up! They love the mud. You may find a food processor could cut wedges of cabbage for you if you want coleslaw. But a head of cabbage makes a lot of coleslaw.

mel said...

I have never seen a turtle like that - thanks for sharing!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy, Sandy and Mel, thanks for visiting.
Tabor, I have a food processor and guess I just wanted to do it the old fashion way - and cannot :)

Darlene said...

Your pictures are lovely, Ernestine.

lil red hen said...

I enjoyed "our" trip into town and seeing the snapping turtle and wild flowers. I have grown Queen Anne's Lace in my flower beds. Let the blooms dry, then just toss them in the beds and forget them. Next spring they should come up on their own.

Pauline said...

read your comment at tabor's site and popped in to read your words here. your lifestyle sounds a little bit like heaven, as does that pie!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Darlene, thank you so much for visiting. Charlotte, I will gather some of the flowers when they dry out and sprinkle the seeds in my garden - never thought of this - thank you.
Pauline, thank you for visiting.

joared said...

Your pictures and commentary are actually calming - lovely flowers.
Definitely, that's a snapper -- good thing you didn't try to pick it up if you didn't know how to avoid mouth.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Joarad - thank you for visiting.
The calmness from small town and country living - I need :)