Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Finally



I have finally mastered the art of cooking corn bread
for one
that is really good.

Cooking for one and downscaling all my favorite recipes has been a challenge.   Especially
considering in your younger years you cooked daily for 7.

Today's lunch
mixed beans that had been soaked all night and put in the crock pot at 4:30 this morning.
An addition of a chopped carrot, stalk of celery and 1/2 onion was added to the pot.
Also some garlic (I put garlic in everything).

1/2 of the great Southern cornbread recipe that I have used for 50 years.  It was good....
This was baked in a small iron skillet that was my grandmother's.
I always think of her when I use this skillet.   She had 6 children by the age
of 32 and was left a widow in her 30's.   Memories of her are still so vivid in my mind and she grows more amazing to me
as I age.  
Sometimes I think I have had my share of challenges but none to compare to
this special grandmother.
She would come and rescue me from apartment living and super young parents.   There was not a blade of grass in sight for most of my growing up years and guess that is why nature now means so much to me throughout my lifetime.  I would dream of the setting that has been gifted me in
my last years.

We would travel back to Tennessee (my birth place)  on the train and I never wanted to leave her and return to Detroit where my parents had fled for working opportunities after the depression.

My lunch also included fresh squash that I picked early this morning.

Of course with a lot of vegetarian children and grandchildren and one vegan they may  frown at my sprinkling of fresh crisp bacon on top of my meal - I still think this is a healthy
meal - seldom eat meat but dishes like this I do like to season with some crisp chopped bacon.....


12 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your dinner sounds wonderful. I've been thinking about fixing a pot of beans lately, your post is nudging me more in that direction.

Have a lovely evening ~ FlowerLady

Lynn said...

Smiling because I put garlic in everything too.

Beverly said...

I am making cornbread right now....I wondered why it is an impossible for me now....

Sky said...

ernestine, you are making me miss the southern food that is impossible to find out here! that looks wonderful!!!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

FL, Lynn, thanks for visiting
Beverly, I cut my recipe in half
Sky, it is the only way I know to cook. With this dry mouth nothing much taste good - but today this did...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lil red hen said...

I'm so glad you cook for yourself; so many who are alone don't eat very well. Also, it's wonderful that you have finally settled in a place that makes you feel so peaceful. I'd really become a recluse if forced to live in the city.

the wild magnolia said...

oh one woman, your meal looks so good.

i would love the recipe. ;-) if you have given it before, i do not remember.

you are a good cook. i have a small cast iron skillet that was my Mom's. i love it/

mister has asked for dried beans, blackeyes, navy, large limas....and so tomorrow i will prepare them.

sallysmom said...

Thank you for sharing this memory of your grandmother.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Charlotte, Sandy - posted your recipe and sallysmom - thanks for visiting...

MsGraysea said...

Thank you for that great recipe. It is now right alongside many of my favorites....your meal looks perfect to me and so delicious.
I empathize with the fact that dry mouth effects the taste of all food.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Marcia, as always - thanks for visiting...