Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Early Morning



Banana Pudding is cooling
Squash picked from garden and if rain does not arrive soon - it is finished
Cherry's from the local market have been exceptional.

Banana Pudding Recipe - is so easy

1 cup of sugar or 3/4 - if using crushed pineapple you might want the 3/4 cup
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup of flour
2 cups of milk
3 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla           Stir all together and add to double boiler.  Stirring constantly until thick.

Cool a few minutes and add l tbsp of butter and small can of drained crushed pineapple

Spray a medium Pyrex dish, bottom and sides are lined with Vanilla Wafers
1/3 of pudding over bottom and
add sliced bananas, more pudding, then more bananas and pudding mixture on top.

Meringue - beat 3 egg whites until stiff peaks surface and slowly add 1/4 cup sugar and
 1/2 tsp vanilla ----preheat-350 degree oven until slightly brown on top - takes about 5 to 10 minutes.

Many times in the past I would also layer the Vanilla Wafers with the bananas and pudding mix
throughout the dish
makes a more sizable dish
but just wanted them as a crust this time

Not expecting company and this is just my desert for a few days.  In fact with the high temperatures
my appetite is not very hearty.  Last night just ate a bowl of the pudding with sliced almonds on top
and a glass of milk for evening meal.

UPDATE - noticed yesterday the birds had left their nest by the garage.  Must be too hot - good.
I stood on the deck with hose on high and washed the nest down.

7 comments:

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

I want to try that banana pudding recipe! Love you.

Lynn said...

Yumm . . . lookin’ good. I wish I could send you some cool. T/S Debby is kicking up here with her outer bands. Exhilarating brisk winds are tossing the trees and pushing the water. Thanks for the nest update. Another handy hose application is a commonly known window cleaner you attach to your nozzle. It’s great on surfaces too. It is soapy so the rinse setting is essential. Happy Sunday.

Balisha said...

Oh that famous southern recipe for banana pudding. Sounds like a wonderful treat for a hot afternoon.
Enjoy!
Balisha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

My Jamie, mom will make you one when you visit :) Lynn my grandson sent me an image from Florida, wish some of it would blow this way. Balisha, I have already ate 1/2 of it...

Sky said...

hubby made me one yesterday - i had been wanting one for days! before i retired my secretary used to make them for me for my birthday! we use the sugar free vanilla pudding mixes so ours are not as rich (or as delicious) as yours!

glad the nest is down now. :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky, you have a good husband :)
Sometimes in the past I made this with pudding mix but I need all the calories I can consume with all the work I do. Love you...
Stay well...

the wild magnolia said...

be still my heart, all the wonderful food.

i am with you, many states need some of Florida's rain, with out the damaging winds and all else.

have a wonderful week.