Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Cooking

Started this morning after breakfast.
A long weekend and heat index upper 90's (do not like)
the best first corn at the market yesterday, cut off of the cob (was difficult)  and fried in old iron skillet like in the old days.
and to think I use to fill freezer with 50 bags every summer. for many years.
Before this made pineapple upside down cake, been a long time - so simple
and was difficult to flip iron skillet - but did it.

then orange jello with pineapple, Mandarin oranges and always stirred in Dream Whip when
jello started to congeal.   My family liked this through the years and made something similar
with Lime jello
Tasty and light in this very warm weather.
Fried some chicken, soaked it in butter milk a while before egg, flour, and egg flour again
then fried in an iron skillet, so good.

Opened last jar of Blue Lake Green Beans shared with me by a friend who had canned them
so I have enough to eat for several days.

Kitchen cleaned, tired and the whole time making this thought of my corn bread and mashed
potato's :)

All of this work was worth it.

7 comments:

lil red hen said...

All looks and sounds SO good!
I feel too hot to cook! :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Charlotte, I love to cook and made myself do this :)

Pienosole said...

Yes! Enjoy! :-)

Joared said...

Ah-h-h, all looks and sounds so tasty. You really have been busy but well prepared for the week.

Sallysmom said...

How do you make that corn in the skillet? We have 3 rows of corn & I think I would like to try this

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

sallysmom, just cut really fresh corn off cobb, in iron skillet, add water and cook until done in the past I have put in some bacon drippings to flavor and some at the end add tsp of sugar
I did neither of these, just salt and pepper

Judy said...

We are having a heat wave also.
I have no desire to do anything that would warm up my kitchen.
Apparently the heat index is near 100--I have no idea because I haven't stuck me nose outside since Friday evening..........