Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Foragers and Morels



A number of times in the past
a vehicle would be spotted pulling down my drive
and someone would
inquire could they forage for Morels.
In the past I always would allow them.

A  bag filled with their prize
would be shown to me
and I would be offered some.
Always refused since I am not
 knowledgeable about the mushrooms in this wooded area.

Always told - how tasty they are :)

Now a special request from my granddaughter, the aspiring chef
who is working in a top restaurant in Nashville.
She is arriving this morning with a crew to look for mushrooms.
An image of Sarah and my son when she visited Thailand about 2 years ago....

Usually Morels begin to surface about the time the Trillium's bloom.
Because of severe cold weather everything is late and no
wild flowers sited at this time.

They are so welcome
"I like company" and has been a long isolated Winter
and they will know where I am located
and are welcome to return anytime...

Hopefully the woods will soon begin to look like this
I am so ready for Spring...


13 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

so great your granddaughter is coming isn't it/

here we have over 30 varieties of mushrooms and locals refuse to eat them so I don't know what are poisonous. I love mushrooms.

There are also truffles but they are harder to forage.

XO
WWW

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

WWW,so good to have company.
Sarah is working at a top restaurant in Nashville
and hopefully when son arrives
we can visit.

Judy said...

I have hunted for and picked the elusive Morel mushroom and told how tasty they are cooked up a bit in butter. I do not eat fungi, so I have never tasted any kind of mushroom. The Chef, your grand daughter is going to be thrilled to cook with them.

Rebecca said...

Hope your granddaughter and the "crew" will fix you up a tasty batch! Sounds SO delicious.

I know you'll enjoy the company.

Pienosole said...

This post made me smile. :-)

lil red hen said...

Great that you'll be having visitors after this cold winter! We've had a couple of days with sunshine but tomorrow is supposed to be bring rain.

I'm like Judy: I don't eat fungi and am somewhat afraid of any mushroom :)

Tabor said...

What a special memory this visit will be! So lovely. YOur just reward for moving into the woods!

Barb said...

Good Luck to the morel hunters - an extra bonus that one is your granddaughter! I like mushrooms but don't feel expert enough to collect them myself for consumption.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, Pienosole, Barb, Judy,
Rebecca, thanks for visiting and hope on their next visit they are successful in gathering mushrooms.

Beverly said...

I bet they are quite tasty. I love mushrooms. Is this your granddaughter that just got married? Spring is not far.....starts Friday...I think

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly, I love mushrooms also (from the market)
This granddaughter not the one just married :)
Rain and cooler for the next few days, inside chores have been outside a lot, so many limbs from the old trees have been burned.
A good time to burn brush piles as ground is wet.

nancy at good food matters said...

Look at those gorgeous morels! and wonderful that your granddaughter chef could come and forage. where is Sarah working?

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Nancy, Roth and Daughters in Germantown..