Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, June 7, 2013

The Eye Experience

I have heard of people having cataract surgery
but no one close that I know
 and really did not know what to expect.

Eye sight is fine by most standards.
Being an avid reader it was beginning to not
be as pleasurable.
No problem with computer
but noticed when driving that I had to be a lot closer
to read small signs.

Doctor told me if my lifestyle did not include
the love of reading that I could wait a while for this eye surgery.
If I wanted reading to be more pleasurable to have it done.

5 weeks ago my right eye was done

You check into hospital about an hour before surgery,
 put on hospital gown, items placed on you in case of heart problem and IV started.
About 3 series of eye drops are put in your eye.
The nurse commented how good I was
that I did not even blink my eyes.

Medication given to relax you but you are able to follow directions
if needed.
So you are half way aware
of what is going on.
I was aware of a lot of different color lights flashing and could hear a lot of water
if this makes sense.  Laser is a new experience.
I remember wanting to scratch my nose and guess I started to move
my hand and the doctor sharply said - "do not move."
Also remember when it was finished having a lot of tape pulled off of my face
and I had the thought "hope they are not taking any skin."  :)
Procedure only takes about 30 minutes or less,
wheeled back to room, blood pressure checked and you prepare
to have someone drive you home.  You still feel slightly medicated.

Restrictions include no heavy lifting and do not do anything
strenuous for a week.  Do not rub my eye, keep water out it,  gently pat with cloth to clean
and I wear an eye shield at night for one week to keep me from
unconsciously rubbing my eye.

Have 4 different eye drops that are used 3 and 4 times daily for a month.
So helpful with the chart that was given to me and can be marked off.
In big letters I wrote which eye
so I would not make a mistake and put them in the wrong eye  :)

Left eye was done this past Monday.

I was nervous preparing for the first eye to be done not knowing what to expect.
The second eye knew what to expect and was fine.

I have experienced no pain, eye feels a little heavy at times for a couple of days.
Also I wear sunglasses when not in house because bright light bothers my eyes.

The day after this procedure you still feel slightly medicated but within
24 hours you feel about normal.
 Do not like this feeling and is the
same as other times I have been put partially to sleep.
Thankful that after 24 hours back to normal.

Yesterday after 3 days, grocery shopped, gas in car, made a stop to renewed car tag,
 trash drop off and stopped at jewelry store to leave off my chain that holds my cross.
The chain is long and when bending over it caught on a plant.  This is something I have worn
for 40 years and miss it.
A good morning and was pleased to arrive back at home to Miss Callie.

My youngest daughter Jamie was with me for the first eye being done
and my middle daughter Beth for the recent procedure.

Beth is a registered nurse and was very impressed with this small hospital
that is close to where I live she lives and works in the big city near Jamie.

Thank you both for taking the time to be with me and bringing me home.

Glad this is over
and although it only takes a few hours with the going, having it done and returning home
you do have a couple of months with eye drops and returning for check ups for both eyes.

If you did not know anything about this procedure
Now you do....


Judy said...

Thank you for writing about the procedure, because I know I will need it in a couple of years and it sort of scared me :-) Now, I feel more comfortable. Sounds like you did a bit too much with all the running around gassing up car and all. I too got my license tab renewed--birthday month. Now if I can just remember to go out and stick it on the license, LOL. Glad the surgery is done--glad you got your chain fixed--I too have a cross I have worn for many years. Have a great weekend!!!!!

Lonely Rivers said...

Thank you! This was very informative. Definitely in my future.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy, after I went through the first procedure (which i was nervous about) I was fine about the other eye on Monday.
So much people do not share. Put the little sticker on car yesterday.
Yes, I do too much and still have not learned and have a lot less energy... A comment lately (you sure do a lot with less energy :)

lil red hen said...

Thank you so much for telling us about the procedure. I worry about any medical ordeal, the present one being a possible return of skin cancer on my nose. I've always thought my nose was too big, but I don't want it cut off one bit at a time. :)

And I'm glad you're feeling o.k.

Sky said...

glad it's all done! hope you have a good weekend. everyone i know over 72 has had it done! aging itself is a significant culprit. even my dogs had cataracts - they lived well into older age at almost 16 and almost 18. i believe i read where they have now developed the surgery for canines. by the way, prednisone is a big contributor to cataracts and osteoporosis both.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Charlotte, Hope the skin heals.
Sky, as always thanks and so aware of prednisone and maybe I will never have to take it again - like last year..

Tabor said...

My mother-in-law has excellent results with this surgery. She was living with us, so we took care of her, but I do not remember such complex medication regimen. So glad you are healthy again and let us know if you are able to read better or see signs better when driving!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, the builder I used to build this home also had this surgery over the last 2 weeks. Different doctor but same medication regimen.
So nothing to compare this to other then him.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that you got through with no ill effects to speak of. And, I liked hearing about the details. Makes it less scary should I ever require the surgery. Thanks for your kind sharing.