Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Small Meal - Butternut Squash Today

For many years
large meals prepared
and there was no problem.

But now...

When you cook small portions for one
that you want to be healthy and tasty
you run out of ideas.

This morning Butternut Squash is simmering.
I always buy any small squash I spot and add
to bowl in my kitchen.  They keep a long time
and are ready when I want to prepare this soup.
 Large ones are to difficult for me to peel.

The aroma is filling the air and it is so easy.

Cubed peeled squash
same of a medium potato,
chopped onion, stalk of celery diced
addition of garlic and chopped carrot.
Simmered in chicken broth until done.
Cooled and small portions put in my mini processor.
I will simmer and thin with some 1/2 and 1/2 or milk.
Into my bowl with fresh herbs and chopped crisp bacon on top.

Looking through recipes and came up with another idea of something not
prepared in a long time.

Chicken Ala King  -  must remember to purchase some pimento, chicken strips
and fresh mushrooms.  Peas are always in the freezer.
This can be served over rice and I like it over toast.

I can remember many years ago
someone I dated invited me to his home and
his mother prepared this dish.
It was so tasty.

This was never served in the home I grew up in
and it gave me an idea for years that followed.

On another day will prepare this old favorite.

Any simple meal ideas
for small portions
appreciated.....

9 comments:

Beverly said...

I made cornbread with 1/4 recipe and it was perfect. I fried patties on top of the stove....thanks for that tip....I love to find small food ideas. Maybe we all should start sharing.....only I am not a very good cook anymore!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly, guess that is why I share and hopefully others will do the same. I find just cutting most recipes in half is good for me.
Shrimp Scampi is good and easy and serve over angel hair pasta.
Take care....

Lonely Rivers said...

It really is a challenge to downsize cooking. Fortunately, I don't mind eathing the same thing for about three days. I sometimes cook for four and begin by freezing the last portion. Would love to have some good ideas or recipes for smaller,individual meals. PS I am now on my sixth attempt at proving I am not a robot, in order to leave a comment.

Lynn said...

Like Lonely and Tabor, I try to get past the point of proving I’m not a robot as many times as it takes. Goes to show how much we love you. Where were we? Ah yes, cooking small meals. I hardly even try anymore. I cook large, divide half way through the main bit and freeze in small size portions. It doesn’t take much actual food with breads and a salad for a meal. I make good use of the crock pot. I’m terrible at remembering to take something out of the freezer so I always take two things out to thaw when I remember. With left-overs that will see me through at least three days. I love cooking and meal planning with the season. It’s also special to have breakfast for dinner ~ waffles, omelets, a quiche. Happy week!

the wild magnolia said...

Chicken a la king sounds yummy. The Squash Stew is a winner to. Will try both.

Great idea for sharing.

))hugs))

joared said...

Sound delicious -- can almost smell the aroma!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

LR, Lynn, Sandy and joared, thanks for visiting. It would be easier to freeze some portions and need to start doing that - thanks for reminding me.

Balisha said...

I love your squash soup. I made it for the freezer. Chicken ala King is also a favorite of mine. I'll have to see if your recipe is the same..Have a nice day. My eyes are failing a bit and can't always read your word verification either.
Balisha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, thank you for visiting.