Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, September 14, 2012

Oh My....Old Recipe For Italian Meat Balls.

Going through old recipes trying to come up with something that would be tasty for my evening meal.
There it was...dated 1968,  paper turning yellow and must recopy so I do not lose this gem.

Anna's Meatballs.

Anna was one of those special people who always hugged me when we came in contact with one another.
I truly loved her and she always made me feel so special.
I have such fond memories of her.
She was a war bride from Italy and wish I could share some of her story but better not.
Now living with a daughter and husband is with his younger wife:(

I can remember the evening we were invited for dinner - my husband and children - before my two youngest arrived.

Oh the tantalizing aroma  as I entered her home.   The same aroma that is filling this cottage over
the last several hours.   This is a rare occurrence with my Sjogrens.  With this immune disorder there is much I miss and also much is not tasty.

2 lbs of ground beef
1/2 lb of ground pork
fresh garlic
salt and pepper to taste
4 beaten eggs
fresh grated Parmesan cheese
6 or 7 slices of bread that have been soaked in milk and then squeezed dry.

mix the above and form meatballs about the size of a golf ball

in a pan that you have cooked several slices of bacon and crumbled
chopped onion
add  olive oil

place these meatballs
gently in simmering oil, cook and turn often so evenly brown

add 3 cans of tomato sauce
1 can of tomato's

I put an addition of my fresh Basil and Parsley in this sauce.
Water was added from time to time to keep the sauce from being to thick.

Simmer for at least an hour - mine simmered for about 1 1/2 hours.

This is what she wrote out and gave me years ago.

I went online to see if there was anything missing?

I made 1/2 this recipe and it made 8 meatballs.   Could only eat one with the spaghetti and my
special bread.

Have lunch and dinner for tomorrow and also a carton to freeze for a later date.

Next time all of children and grandchildren are visiting
I believe I will make this along with a big salad....





7 comments:

Lynn said...

The circle goes round and round. I use the the same recipe substituting cooked rice for the bread for stuffed bell peppers on the advice of my butcher when I was a young bride.

mel said...

Isn't it wonderful how food and smells can bring up right back into some of our most precious moments?

Sky said...

do you stay in touch with anna?

i would like to try this, but i will make smaller meatballs since i prefer them that way and always like to add mushrooms. thnx for the recipe! hope you have a nice weekend.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Lynn, I do the same when I make stuffed peppers. Have not had them in a while and thanks for the reminder. Mel, this is great.
Sky, no and I miss her. She would be in her 90's and I would cry if I saw her. Think of her often.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Some food smells send me back to days gone by too. Your recipe is similar to one I make. Those simmering, tantalizing scents are comforting.

Have a nice weekend ~ FlowerLady

the wild magnolia said...

I have been craving meatballs
this is a fine recipe

thank you and happy weeks end.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Lorraine, you are so right - some things bring back special memories.
Dear Sandy, struggling with keeping my weight up and this was something tasty for me to eat :)