Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Saturday Dark Woods And Soup


Written yesterday....

Winter, Spring and Fall
I love walking and riding in the woods.
It seems like over night
they have turned into  thick and
very dark woods.
Finished cutting  grass and
began my venture into the woods.
Did not go far
looks like a rain forest
everything is so lush and green.
Branches hanging low from
the moisture and paths are damp
in places.
Love the way the sun filters through the leaves
of the tall old trees.

From now through the summer
 visits are not frequent
as the woods are so thick and overgrown.
  Thought comes to mind
of the poison ivy I get most years.

After reading my Sarah's recipe for
her vegetarian Cauliflower soup I
made a few additions to my old favorite
that I just made.

Basics are Cauliflower, carrot, celery, onion,
garlic and one small diced potato.
To make it go further :)
On hand I had a red pepper and diced
some of it in this mixture. 
From Sarah - cashews soaked in water
to soften, and an addition of cumin.

Mixture covered with water
and simmered until done.
I use my handy 4 cup Work Bowl
from Cuisinart to puree only a part
as I like chunks of the vegetables in the soup.
This time I did not add cream, milk
or broth as it seemed fine without it.
  Might add cream when I warm
for dinner this evening.
I like the addition of the cashews
gives the soup a little crunch.

Of course she would not eat grandma's
as it was topped it with shredded cheese,
crisp bacon and an addition of my
Cilantro on top.

With my crusty bread warmed in
olive oil and fruit tea - it was a winner
for this matriarch.

Kitchen a mess, but sure was good.
Now I have my meal for tonight
and tomorrow.

6 comments:

Tabor said...

Nothing better than homemade good food that last for several meals! Are those prayer flags in the top photo.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, soup the way I make it is healthy and easy. Just a lot of chopping.
Yes, those are prayer flags I put in my woods :)

Beverly said...

That sure looks tasty. And, I do not like cauliflower. But, I love all the rest.....

Stay away from that poisen ivy....we do not even want to go there!
Wish I would drive up to see you my friend. Maybe one day.....

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly, you are always welcome :)

lil red hen said...

I don't venture far into the woods in the summer either, for fear of copperhead snakes. I started a clean-up along our woods but had a scare when two men stopped their truck in the road close to where I was working. They didn't seem to even notice me, but there was no way they couldn't have seen me and the Kubota. I almost fear humans as much as the snakes. lol

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Charlotte, agree totally with you.
Wish we lived close by, there is probably much we could share in person. Have a good day. Glad I found you or did you find me :)