Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Monday, April 30, 2012

Rose Breasted Grosbeak


I have been noticing the male and female Grosbeak at the feeders for over a week.
Last year was the first time I had ever seen these birds.
Posted a picture with 6 in a tree in front of cottage.
Pleased I was able to catch an image of the male.
So colorful he is with his rose colored vest...

Reading about this bird it stated they were common birds of the forest.
Oh, I like that description
and had the thought
that maybe that is a good description of me.

As I sit in my old rocking chair with camera in hand
I can hear the really big woodpeckers tapping away
in the woods, also the soulful cooing of the doves.
Their sound seem to cover me with a blanket of peace.

Before going in for the evening I noticed this beautiful
woodpecker had just landed in a nearby tree..
While this cottage was being built a large section of this
tree came down.  Was lucky it did not fall on home.


                                                                                                                                                                                      
I would like a camera where I could get better
closeups.   But then do not need two cameras....

~~~~Spiritual practitioners thrive in unpredictable conditions, testing and refining the
inner qualitative of heart and mind.  Every situation become an opportunity to abandon
judgement and simply give attention to what is~~~

Shaila Catherine "A Medatative Guide To States of Deep Joy, Calm and Clarity"

8 comments:

Tabor said...

Telephotos are essential for close-ups of birds and I want ANOTHER one. But there is not much I want anymore in life, so maybe will get it someday. Love your photos! Two treasures!! That hollow and loud woodpecker tap you hear is territorial this time of year. He is not eating bugs, that tap is more quiet and industrious.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor like you as there is not much else I want anymore in life.
I need to stop ordering books.
The stack grows higher for my rainy day and winter reading.
Just not pleased that I cannot get closer to birds. They would fly away if I walked any closer.
Have a good day. I need Rain...

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

A good telephoto for birds is great to have. My camera is a little point and shoot, a Canon A650 IS. I got it mainly for it's macro capabilities because I take close-ups of flowers, etc. It's not too bad with distance, probably could be better, but I'll go with what I've got for now.

I loved your quote, it went so well with your post about living in your cottage in the forest.

Have a wonderful week ~ FlowerLady

Sky said...

rain, rain, rain...tapping on my roof and the skylights. wish you had some of it.

love the photos. have never seen the grosbeak except in photos! :(

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky and FL - thanks for visiting the woods...

Beverly said...

Just talked to my brother and they had the same bird today....they are from Paris Tn....

Happy@Home said...

Great photos! I haven't seen any rose breasted grosbeaks in my yard, however I do see a lot of pretty birds. I'd love to be able to get close-ups of them, but my camera is a point and shoot and like you I don't really need 2 cameras.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly I never saw this bird until I moved back to the woods :)
H/H - :)