Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Monday, May 25, 2009

Today's Song

I headed for the country bright and early this morning. I wanted to see how the rain of the last few day affected my country landscaping.
Mud and mud and more mud surrounding my cottage. But no standing water.

I unloaded 8 splash blocks and 2 Oak Leaf Hydrangeas. I spread a bale of straw going to my walk and sat on the porch for a while and said a prayer of thankfulness for all that is unfolding. I requested special blessings on this home and all who enter it's threshold. I ask that it be a home of peace and love to all who visit.

This put a smile on One Woman's face - my kitchen cabinets were installed. I knew they were promised by today but with it being a holiday I did not expect to see them. They are totally different from anything I used in the past. A natural bead board, glass doors with a black speckled counter top. These cabinets would not have looked good in any home I have had in the past. But they are perfect for this country home surrounded by woods.

I headed home and stopped for a small hamburger and coke (oh so healthy) to eat going down the road. Early evening my Jamie is having a cookout and I will ride with my son to her home.

I noticed an old barn had blown down. Will make a call to see if I can have an old board that "Woodhaven" can be painted on. I want to place it on a tree as you approach my country home.

I continue to share past, present and what is to come - mostly for my grandchildren and maybe great grandchildren - because my children are probably weary of mom repeating myself and if I am sharing for the first time - they are so busy that I believe they sometimes only half hear me. This is the only way my little ones will know that this One Woman has lived a number of lifestyles and the one that is evolving now is giving her so much pleasure.

In one of her past lives there was the big house, country club, upscale car and she carried a briefcase.

Now she takes such pleasure driving her pickup to the country.

Came across this song from one of Judy's blogs at http://jdyflygrl.blogspot.com/ guess it says a lot of my state of mind when I am driving my pickup down my country road.

I've got the radio blastin (not really as I like it quiet)
I've got the windows rolled down
And I'm crusin' these back roads
On the outskirts of town.
I can feel the wind a-blowin
Hear the big engines whine
When I'm crusin' the back roads
All my troubles are behind

I think this "Ricky Van Shelton" song sums up my state of mind earlier today. Anyone meeting One Woman over the years would classify her (I think) as somewhat elegant with good taste but she loves to garden. Reading my entry I sound like a "redneck".
Guess this is part of my eclectic personality. Grandma is not boring to say the least.

One Woman's Journey continues

14 comments:

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Lovely post and I hope you can acquire a piece of that blown down barn wood to make a welcome sign for your new nest. Very special!

And I wonder if you would consider having a formal blessing ceremony for your home? Perhaps your minister could do it? Your intentions are very powerful for all who come there and it would be great to ritualize that. I'd offer to do one for you myself (I've done them in the past) but MI is a long way from TN. !!! I've always blessed (formally) every home or workspace I've had...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Jan, thank you so much for your comment. I would love to have a formal blessing. Sad, I know of no one in that area. For years I attended the small local church and taught and then moved on to a non-denomination church, where I felt the spirit of God move fully.
In my city cottage for 2 years and visited several churches but found none that I bonded with. So it is just me one on one with the Lord at this time.
If you could do this long distance by prayer - it would please me greatly.

Tabor said...

If it did not bother you, you might be able to get a non-religious blessing. Mine was composed of Jewish, Christian and mystic sayings and activities. (I am always one to cover all bases!0 I loved this post, because you really have shown how you are coming into your own...a new woman in this later part of your life. Eclectic...my favorite personality.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, thank you. Your comments are so meaningful to me. Give me a title and I know it will be special and just the right word.
The disadvantage of a small southern town - where I have grown in an area they are not familiar with. I am not going to teach.
I will just walk, plant and be a tree hugger (no poison ivy please)
Soon a time to meditate on my deck facing the woods. At the moment I may be flying to high. Especially when this home needs to sell.

Sarah Lulu said...

What a gorgeous post.

And may God bless your home and all who spend time there.

Sarah Lulu xxx

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thank you Sarah Lu, waiting to hear about our new baby!! Blessings sent to everyone.

Cloudhands said...

In my humble opinion, I think your prayer on the front porch was a sincere rite of blessing of your home and land. Who better to bless it that the wise woman who brought it into realization.
I love reading about your adventures. I, too, hope you get your barnwood. What a nice finishing touch to move in and hang out your sign.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Cloudhands, thank you for your comment. In my heart I feel exactly the way you do. This home and land will be prayed for daily.
Or rather has been for years.

Beverly said...

No, you are not boring. I am so blessed to have you in my life. Someday we will meet. I hope you will not be disappointed.
I am so excited for you and your country home....

I think of John Denver's "Country roads, take me home, to the place I belong" when I think of you going there :)

mermaid said...

Redneck because you need the sun shining down on you as you hold the earth in your hands, and she holds you as you sit, sleep, walk or stand.

The home sounds divine.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly, you make me smile with your comment. Mermaid you touch my heart and soul with your comment. You have the gift of words. Special words at special times. Bless you both.

SG said...

Very nice post... I love the song. Its strange how, at times, you just chance upon what you you are feeling!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Hi there,
I agree with Tabor that an interfaith ceremony could be absolutely beautiful and welcoming. Those are the types of ceremonies I create because usually people of many spiritual persuasions are present. I will e-mail you privately as you suggested and I can provide some ideas/resources if you'd like so you can create the ceremony of your heart's desire. :-)

There are many wonderful resources out there. I particularly love John O'Donohue's newest book,"To Bless the Space Between Us." It's so soul-stirring! I often read it to jumpstart my own meditation/prayer time. Upon looking at it, I see that there is actually a blessing in this book for a new home. Lovely!
Blessings to you this day.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Phonex, thank you for visiting. I came across a post from one of your favorite blogs. Could not contact them. It is new to me that someone can comment and connections are made through this new world of computers for this "One Woman" and it speaks to your heart and spirit.
Jan, thank you.