Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Relaxing


Yesterday
it was pouring rain
and I have always liked to
iron on a rainy day.
A dozen pillow cases,
 tablecloths and
finished Christmas tablecloths
except for one
and wondered
does anyone iron
or use tablecloths
anymore?

I do not know many
who enjoy this lost art.
Have always had a room
where the ironing board can stay up
"love my storage room."

Spray starch is now used and
 memories of many years ago
cooking starch on the stove.

Every tablecloth has a story.
Some used daily when my children were growing up.
 and the Christmas cloths
brought out during the holidays.
Some I purchased,  a few gifts from special people and several
quilted that my mother made for me.

Also this was a good day to continue putting
 winter items in the storage room.

After lunch
I was able  to sit and read.
Then the rain stopped
and I spread a few seeds in the pots
on terrace.
Bushes and trees are forming buds
and some plants emerging.

Wonderful
Spring is on the way....

11 comments:

hilary said...

I even iron my linen curtains and sheets. Yes I iron tablecloths and napkins and pillowcases. I have a "big board" for my ironing board so it's wonderful to use. I sit on a barstool and watch PBS. I use strong starch. Love it.

Balisha said...

I used to love coming home from school on ironing day. The smell of an iron hitting starched clothes is still remembered.
I don't iron as much as I used to, but there are some things that I love to iron.
Balisha

Tabor said...

I used to iron table cloths and pillow cases and even sheets for my mother. But I have a steamer that I use for most things now and we tend to just look more casual.

Hill Top Post said...

Starching and ironing...remember so well how Mother starched, dried, and "sprinkled" (with water) the clothes to be ironed. Now days, thankfully, wrinkles are in style!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

hilary, Ballisha, Tabor and Mary,
thanks for visiting.
Guess I just like to iron - but only on rainy days :) Love the crisp look of everything - but remember I am from another generation then most of you..

lil red hen said...

I'm from the same generation as you and I do still iron tablecloths and napkins, flannel shirts and pullovers. I want the farmer to look nice when he goes out, thinking it's a reflection on me if there's a crease in the shirt sleeves. My board sits in the sewing room.

Judy said...

I am working on a Christmas table cloth for my sister--it is white and cross stitched design of holly leaves, golden bells and stars. It is going to be real nice and I will wash and iron it with starch, when it is done and put it into a bag to save for Christmas. i love ironing actually. Remember the little girl dresses we ironed--before permanent press--those little puff sleeves drove me crazy. Trying to get them ironed with putting a crease in them.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Charlotte and Judy, right there with you. Judy where do you buy your cross stitch items? I use to do them...

MsGraysea said...

What a wonderful post and I love all your linens. I, too, enjoy the ritual of using and caring for lovely linens, and I can well remember having a pot of starch water on the stove and dipping the clothes into it before ironing them. My grandmother taught me the process. Also, my mother would sprinkle clothes to be ironed, roll them in a towel and keep them in the refrigerator until she was ready to do the ironing.
Just love to iron.

Marcie said...

Love your storage room. Wish I had such a room, but I guess my basement serves as such. Love the glimpse of your table linens and such. It reminds me that home is a sanctuary, and should be lovingly tended.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Aisling, thank you for visiting.
This is the area over my garage and put a door into it from upstairs bedroom.
Marcia, :)