Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Pumpkin Bread


Jamie had to provide something for a fund raiser at work. Thought I would help her. She requested this recipe that mom has been making for over 40 years. Gave her a loaf and I have two left. Or rather one.
I have ate almost a loaf. So good with my tea and milk. Sometimes I warm and put butter on it. Other times just room temperature with cream cheese on top.

Pumpkin Bread

Preheat oven to 350 and grease loaf pans 3 small or 2 large

3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ginger ALL OF THIS IN A BOWL
4 eggs beaten
3 cups sugar Beat together
Alternately add flour mixture
and 1/2 cup water
1 cup Wesson oil
2 cups pumpkin or 1 can
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins - optional
I like to add a dash of Black Walnut Flavoring
Mix all together
Will fill 3 smaller loaf pans or 2 large I like my old old smaller pans
350 degrees for almost 1 hour


We are always getting ready to live
But never live

Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 comments:

Tabor said...

One of my favorites...I will have to remember to try this recipe. It looks delish. I love the new look of your blog. Are those Texas bluebonnets?

Judy said...

Ernestine, Great minds must run together. I just did a post on my bread, too, but it is sourdough instead of pumpkin. I will try your recipe. It is getting to be that time of the year for comfort food and I love to cook. Hope you are doing o.k.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, this picture from Texas, so probably bluebonnets.
Judy, time marches on. I am right where I am suppose to be.
Thank you both for commenting.
You are special.

Jessi Cotterill said...

Hello Ernestine

This is what I've been waiting for, your recipe!!

We have lots of pumpkins here, I'll have to try your recipe.

One question.. you don't have to use yeast for making bread?

Thanks
Jessi

Jessi Cotterill said...

What a quick reply!! That means we're online at the same time.

My email address is jessica_myfriend@yahoo.com

I'll try the pumpkin bread when I come back from Tao Island next week.

By the way, it'll help if you post a picture of your pumpkin bread.

Thanks
Jessi

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Picture added per Jessi's request.
I am smiling.
I need to get off of computer world.

daringtowrite said...

Thanks for your visit and appreciated comments. The pumpkin bread sounds delicious and I'm another admirer of your banner photo.

See you again soon.

Renee said...

This recipe sounds yummy! I will have to make this and our yearly pumpkin roll now that the Fall wetaher is fast approaching. I am already seeing leaves change here in Pennsylvania.

Thanks so much for keeping me and my family in your prayers. It means so much!

Have a great week and enjoy the rest of that bread if there is any left, lol!

Renee

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Renee, I kept looking for an updated post from you. Was beginning to be concerned about you. So happy to hear from you.

Meredith said...

Have to send a sympathy basket to one of my husband's employees tomorrow and remembered your recipe.

I have canned pumpkin and everything else I need for this at home--no trip to the grocery!

Thanks for sharing your best recipes.

Kimmie said...

That sounds really yummy...bet we could eat three loaves in a day here. My kids love pumpkin anything. I just grabbed 6 sugar pumpkins at the farmstand...they will be begging me to roast them and get them off the sidewalk for decorations.


thanks for sharing
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted