Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Being Boring

Read this poem at Nan's "Letters from a Hill Farm" this morning.

Made me smile. Guess I'm boring. But I am at Peace and really Happy.


Excerpts from "Being Boring" by Wendy Cope from "If I Don't Know"


If you ask me "what's new"
I have nothing to say
Except that the garden is growing.
I'm content with the way things are going.
There was drama enough in my turbulent past.
Tears of passion. I've used up a tankful.
No news is good new, and long may it last.
If nothing much happens, I'm thankful.
If you're after excitement, steer well clear of me.
I want to go on being boring.
I don't go to parties. Well, what are they for.
If you don't need to find a new lover?
You drink and listen and drink a bit more.
And you take the next day to recover.
Someone to stay home with was all my desire.


I have added this "I guess I will just have to go on being boring"

Guess that says it all.

4 comments:

Renie Burghardt said...

Well, I'm in the same boat, Ernestine. Happily boring! LOL.

I enjoyed the poem. I wouldn't want the turbulent but more exciting times back. There is enough excitement for me in these woods!

Have a great evening!

Renie

Nan said...

I'm pleased you liked it. I really did, and her humor is great.

I heard a terrific comment the other day. A man had been through a divorce and was now seeing a younger woman. He said he felt like he was seventeen again. An older woman who heard him say this said: who would want to feel seventeen again!! Isn't that funny! :<)

Beverly said...

there is a lot to enjoy with "boring"

i liked the poem

Jessi Cotterill said...

Hello Ernestine

People always ask me if I get bored living in such a remote place (without Starbucks and Shopping malls), considering a city girl I used to be.

Well..the poem really speaks my mind. I totally agree with Beverly "there is a lot to enjoy with boring"!!

Here I'm being embraced by the sea, the sky, and my garden. Yes...it's joyfully boring.

Thanks for sharing the poem.
Jessi