Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Monday, July 27, 2015

A Gift Arrived and Another Day is Ending

Hot weather has arrived once again.
Mornings are delightful for me and since I am an early riser
it is perfect for me to fill bird feeders and water plants.
Oates this morning with fruit and then on to the local small town.
For weeks have wanted so to visit a friend in the nursing home and finally made it.
Such fond memories of conversations and times with her over the last 20 years.

Years older, in her 90's but like this one in so many ways.   Her mind is perfect but body cannot
follow through.   Her much loved home of years is being auctioned off next week.
She hoped her son or daughter would take the home but they are settled in their
different lifestyles.  They are so good to her and visit many times a week even though they
live quite a distance away.

Next stop at the market and onward home.  Chicken was ready to take out of its buttermilk, Cayenne
and s & p -   dredged in flour, pepper, Kosher salt  and Turmeric and cooked in hot oil resulted in such a beautiful golden color.
This is a new way for me and wished I had added these spices over the years for the taste
and appearance.
Mail carrier arrived late today and a
 special gift arrived in the rural mailbox
from many miles away, New Foundland, Canada.
A special online friend knits
something I never learned to do,
tried and just could not master those knitting needles.
My favorite colors, dish towel and dish clothes.
Mary, thank you so very much....

7 comments:

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

That chicken looks delicious (what a gorgeous color...yum) and I love your gift! How thoughtful! :)

Sallysmom said...

It is wonderful to have friends near and far.

Wisewebwoman said...

OOOh I am so happy they arrived, they travelled such a distance! And I'll remember your chicken recipe - add the turmeric, brilliant :)

So good of you to visit your friend. I'm sure she was thrilled :)

XO
WWW

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

My Jamie, always like a gift
when you visit your mama, know how busy you are.
Sallysmom, :)
and Wisewebsomen,
you made my day. Still smiling - I am :)

Tabor said...

You seem to be surrounded by friends...both virtual and real. Lucky you!

Anvilcloud said...

The chicken sounds and looks great. Glad you had a nice visit with an old friend. Our heat is way up there lately. It will be 'feels like' 100 here again today, with a real temp of about 90. I plan to stay in the AC. :)

Sandra said...

How lovely to get a gift through the post - and in your favourite colours too!
I think you must enjoy cooking a lot as you always have something interesting on the go!