Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Unplanned and Unexpected Pleasure of Simplicity

My day continues
the sun is shining
I begin to tidy my garage
as someone is coming to spray in the next few weeks.
Then it is beginning to be so nice and warm outside
that I begin to add more small limbs to the fire pit.
and successful in it burning
for several hours
careful as I walk because there are so many
roots of the old trees'
exposed at this time.
Did not notice this last year
and wonder if I need to have a truck load of top soil brought it.
But really do not want to do anything like this.
It is wonderful to be outside....


I am tired and  1:30 and time for lunch and nothing prepared.
I quickly make a small portion of chicken salad
with a chicken breast left over from yesterdays meal.
My small Cuisinart chopper is so handy.
Chicken with a small addition of celery a scallion with a small
amount of Hellmans Mayo,
then chopped pecans and sliced black seedless grapes are folded in.
A small amount of broccoli and carrot slivers are steamed.
So this on my plate with 1/2 of sliced  avocado and crackers.

Delightful to sit on the deck in the warm sun
eating my simple lunch
with Callie at my feet.


My mind is blank and undisturbed
except for the thought
nothing could be any more peaceful and enjoyable for me at this time of life.
There have been thoughts in the past year
after my fall
if my plans for the future need to change ?
Then my blank mind
is filled with the joy of my granddaughter's upcoming wedding
and thoughts continue to surface
of my son's visit
enjoying the woods with his mother....

Then another thought arises
I do believe I love this home and enjoy it more then the many over my past - now long life...

Callie continues not to move
and my day is ending
perfectly...

22 comments:

Balisha said...

If I could only join you in the sunshine... on your deck. We would have a delightful visit while sharing your delicious lunch. I would bring a lemon tart for tea time...
Balisha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, bless your heart and thank you for commenting.
I need to bake something and you with me would be such a pleasure.
Today's pleasure so unexpected and I realize at the moment
it is a gift - for cold weather is returning...

Wisewebwoman said...

I need a day like this so desperately! We had higher temps today but lashed rain all day. Snow melted.

Loved your lunch, I always forget to make chicken salad.

XO
WWW

Pienosole said...

How nice to read this posting. It made me smile and then exhale and relax. :-)

Sky said...

have to dream about the sunshine right now - so inundated with dampness and falling rain. it's the way of winter in seattle...

Tabor said...

your meal sounds far from simple to me. It sounds rich and healthy. Good for you! How about one of your loved ones dancing with you a little bit before the wedding...you never know who you will have to dance with.

Marcie said...

It sounds like the perfect combination of simplicity and serenity for you and Callie. Wonderful!

Hill Top Post said...

Sometimes we just don't take the time to appreciate life's simple pleasures. Like you, we were needing a warm day of sunshine.

Judy said...

I need a day like this, but we did have sunshine and it felt warm on my skin, as it came through the windows. The snow we had is melting and grey, and dirty and---just plain yucky!

MsGraysea said...

What a lovely day.....the sun is so healing, and I love how Callie stays so near. Sweet girl! Your lunch sounded so yummy, too.
I've been feeling the same kind of settled, happy feeling as this new year starts (even though the flu caught me). I've used the time to do little things that make me very happy.
You have so many wonderful events coming up! Lovely.

Lonely Rivers said...

Such a great feeling of contentment...all is well in this moment, AND you have something lovely to look forward to!

nancy at good food matters said...

it did feel marvelous to take in the warmth and sun. it helps us get over that bitter bitter cold, which is bound to return.

Judi said...

I, too, like to sit out on my front porch on my glider and enjoy the fresh air of winter.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

WWW, Pienosole, Sky, Tabor, Aisling, Mary, Judy, Marcia, LR,
Nancy, Judi, oh my I am posting late, Winter has arrived again
and thank you for visiting.
Wish we could all gather together in person :)

Beverly said...

I smile as I read this post...
I felt as though I was sitting there with you and Callie.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Special friend
Beverly,
thanks for visiting. I keep checking you
--write something :)

kerrdelune said...

Love the fire, and the image of Callie - she has happy ears!

thewiildmagnola said...

I do hope you are able to remain in your beloved home and woods.

Take care of you!

Kay said...

This sounds like a wonderful lunch. My family is living in Chicago right now and it's bitterly cold right now. I feel almost guilty sitting here in my shorts and tank top.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Cate, Sandra and now a new friend Kay, thank you for visiting...

Sharon said...

Ah, sun and warmth ~ nature's elixir for what ails us. We will take all the days of sun we can get this time of year, won't we?

My friend in town who is 81 told me on Friday that her daughter has a buyer for the property. My friend will be able to stay until she can find a place to go. I will try to be brave for her sake, but I cannot imagine her being happy anywhere but in her cottage. I know you understand....

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful description. I can see you there on your deck and can practically taste that chicken salad.