Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, January 24, 2014

Envy

Envy
is the only word I can think of
that will describe my feelings
about an hour ago.

This is a trait I do not have
but I do not know what else to call it
and it made me smile

I looked out the window at the home I built 10 years ago
that now has a new owner.
This owner has horses and love seeing them graze in the field.
and have been concerned over them with this super cold weather
as building a shelter has not begun.

Looking out the window I saw a dozen or more of something in the yard
then I realized
they were chickens.

I have wanted chickens since moving back to the country.

Have noticed some of the small chicken shelters on wheels
that you move about .... but
not a good idea - I think.
There is surrounding this cottage
all  I can take care of at this time.

But I smiled when I realized what I was seeing
and it was a good envy.

Memories of moving to the old farm house years ago
 this was such enjoyment
my chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, turkeys, peacocks
and raising calves
were helpful to the healing of this young woman.

 My Jamie, youngest daughter named them all.

So this Envy
Makes me smile...

7 comments:

lil red hen said...

Although you can't have all this now, you do have such wonderful memories and it's nice that you live close enough to have them come to mind now and then. I agree ~ good envy.:)

Judy said...

That is a good envy--one we have when we remember how it was and our good memories. I miss being on the farm with the bunnies, sheep and chickens I used to have--along with the dogs and many cats. I realize now that there is no way I could care for them, or even want to at this stage of life.

Hill Top Post said...

I also agree - good envy. A flock of outdoor chickens is so much fun, and just seems to symbolize country living, but... have been there and done that. So, guess I will, like you, just smile at the memories.

Marcie said...

I think you have your envy in good perspective. :)

Love our chickens and rabbits, but it is quite a chore to tend to them in these sub zero temperatures. A constant worry to keep them warm, and then the cold discomfort of the hours spent outdoors caring for them.

Lonely Rivers said...

Love that you can watch these new neighbors enliven your former property. I am pretty sure it will bring back many sweet memories. It would be fun to have some chickens...and it must also be fun to know that your neighbors saw your property and could also see some of your dreams.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Charlotte, Judy, Chip Butter,
Aisling and LR,
thanks for readying about my envy yesterday.
I know
no way
can I have chickens at this time.
But years ago
they were a joy...

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a sweet post! Most of us would be ashamed to admit envy, and you have not only admitted it, you've had good memories and smiled over it. THAT makes me smile!