Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wish I Was There

I find my son's letters so interesting
occasionally will share.
This was received several days ago
after I posted about my books...

Hi mama !

I like your new journal entry about re-reading old books !

After reading dozens of Buddhist philosophy books over the years, I now generally just re-read the better ones - it is difficult to improve upon the likes of Ajahn Chah, the Dalai Lama, Thich Nhat Hanh, Charlotte Joko Beck ( highly recommended - 2 upstairs somewhere... ). Ajahn Sumano ( Question from the City, Answers from the Forest ), and of course Sayadaw U Jotika....I have been very fortunate to attend lectures by the Dalai Lama, Thich Nhat Hanh, and Sayadaw U Jotika - and have spent the afternoon chatting with Ajahn Sumano outside his cave in rural Thailand - in fact my monk friend who I spent last Sunday with is contemplating another visit to Ajahn Sumano in the near future and I shall tag along....

Sunday with Phra Frank was quite enjoyable - he is in the midst of his 3rd rains retreat - Thai monks spend 90 days in the summer at one location during the rainy season and intensify their practice - for his pre-noon meal he requested I bring tuna fish sandwiches, olives, m & m's , pastries, and cheese - so I made the sandwiches in his hut and we had a good lunch - after lunch 3 young Thai people who spoke English stopped by with meditation questions so he gave them a one hour Dharma talk and then we went and listened to the Abbot give a Dharma talk.

Friday night at the Shangrila in my free room was great as expected - I loved having my sliding glass door to the balcony open and listening to the river taxis chug along til midnite - they have a pool overlooking the river with lounge chairs around the pool or you can face the river - which is where I rested and read a book for a bit before the late Friday rains moved in - Saturday morning a breakfast buffet outdoors - ( I passed on the $120.00 dinner buffet Friday eve - but did enjoy just looking at it - mountains of lobster, oysters, and everything else under the sun in large quantities....)

Today, Monday, I taught 2 classes back to back this morning - the last week of every month we focus on restorative poses and sometimes do some pranayama.

November I go for 3 days to Siem Reap, Cambodia and in February visit Tim in Vietnam - I called him the other day and he is getting ready to head to Nashville in a couple of weeks.

OK all for now - time for dinner...

Love, Jimmy

2 comments:

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Ernestine, I loved reading this, you knew I would! Ah, yes, I know the feeling. I understand what you mean by "sometimes" I wish I was there. Your son is so blessed to have had (and be having) so many rich experiences. It would be lovely to meet you both some day.

How about this? Because we can't be there right now, let's vow to embrace contentment where we are. Let's let the late blooming flowers speak to us like a wise teacher. Let's let our efforts in the garden be the focus of our lesson (or dharma talk) for today. We'll sit at the feet of the tomatoes.

Like you, I believe that the simplest of experiences can carry us inward toward our own en-lightening.

But then Thailand would be really nice....We can dream while we prune, how's that?

Big hugs from your soul/dharma sis.

Love you...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Jan, thank you.
Yes, I knew you would enjoy reading this letter :)