Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Monday, September 26, 2011

Book Thoughts

I have bought a number of books lately and when I begin to read them - just cannot get into them.
One such book yesterday.   Another donation to the local library..
So I have decided I am not going to buy any more books.
Many on shelves of bookcases, sitting by my chair and on my nightstand that are my favorites.
They are dated and passages underlined.
Many I have not picked up in years.
One in particular, "The Shell Seekers" by Rosamunde Pilcher. It is dated 1987 by me and I made a comment that is was a favorite.
I went through a period where I devoured her books
probably have most of them.   Just pleasant reading that took me to another time and place.
As my son's interest in Buddhism grew I began to read a lot of books about a philosophy that
was totally foreign to me.
If I reread all of my favorite books and special interest that I study that will take a number of years.   So that is my plan.
Also my son has a library here at the cottage.   Recently introduced to Chinese poetry through his books.
I would never have thought this would interest me.
Pleasant surprise, I love it and can relate to those who made a move to the mountains and have a garden.

"I live here quietly and peacefully, but this isn't chance happening
I worked very hard for it.  It's about hard work, not just good karma.
I chose to live quietly and peaceful.  Every day I choose to live quietly and peacefully, it's a constant choice.
Needs a real strong determination, a letting go.  We can't have our cake and eat it too."

Snow in the Summer by Sayadaw U Jotika

8 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I quit buying books several years ago, when I got my library card. Unless I see something I'd really like to read at a thrift store or yard sale. I love going to the library, trying to see what jewels will jump out at me but sometimes check out books that I turn back in without having read, after reading a few pages and it just doesn't feel worth my time.

I read The Shell Seekers too, good book.

I love the quote you posted.

I seek to live quietly and peacefully where we are, on a busy 5 lane road. We are creating our own little haven.

FlowerLady

Laura said...

I understand this so well...Our house is filled with books...so many that I could read again and again...but the lure of a new one is still hard for me to ignore...perhaps I should make it a practice that if I purchase a new one, I donate two old ones that are not important to me anymore but would benefit someone else. Thank you E for helping me to think this through.

Judy said...

Love The Shell Seekers

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

FlowerLady, I use to go to library all the time but just do not have time with all I do here in the woods.
LauraX, my lure has stopped. See what aging does to you :)
Judy, we are a lot alike...

Beverly said...

I loved The Shell Seekers....and several others she has written... Do you go to the library? If you do not like it, take it back.... I just finished I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelo and loved it.. I have bought so many over the years and did not have time to read, now I am making up for lost time!

MsGraysea said...

You have a wonderful way of touching on such timely issues....I, too, treasure my books, and have many. The decision to buy a Kindle last year was fraught with angst but I am so happy I did. Not bringing any more "stuff" into my life is vital to my sanity these days, so as much as I loved the feeling of acquiring a new book and the anticipation of seeing it await my attention, I like more to have less clutter.
The quote is beautiful! Happy Fall

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly, in the past I almost lived at the library. I do not have time now with all the outside work.
Marcia, I like the feel of a paper book - cannot go the Kindle way.
I have enough to read in this home for the rest of my days.
Thank you both for visitin..

Unknown said...

Thanks for jogging my memory about "The Shell Seekers" and Rosamunde Pilcher.

I remember enjoying that book and anything that Pilcher wrote - will have to reread some of her books.