Saturday, May 1, 2010

Touch Stones

Tabor used this word in a comment to me on my son's Buddha that is temporarily resting in my woods.

The word started the wheels in my mind turning. I began to think of some of the touch stones that reside with me in my woods home.

Clocks that were my mother's, grandmothers, and great grandmother's. A large platter and a number of items that were my grandmother's and great grandmother's. A wooden mirror that my oldest daughter gave to me years ago. My little granddaughter's love using it, and I always tell them to be careful that they do not drop and break it. Quilts upon the beds that my mother lovingly made.

Strange when I think of this - I never saw her quilt. I always peeked in her quilting room, but her quilting time was early in the morning or late in the evening. I was never with her at these times. Books from all of my children.

In my bedroom is a pillow that a special friend gave me. It has a woman tending to a Wisteria vine. I also have a pillow that has "Happily Ever After" embroidered on it. I was with this dear friend when I spotted it in a shop window. After I purchased it she put heavy fringe on the pillow.

She died of a brain aneurysm about 10 years ago. These items in my bedroom keep her ever in my heart.

I have some special items from my children's father that will be passed on when the time is right. A few special items from some that One Woman was close to - at a different time in her life.

The beginning garden at the edge of the woods is filled with pieces of flowers that through the years came to me from special people. A bird feeder from my mother and some rocks from her garden. A small stone "Miracles Happen Only To Those Who Believe In Them" from a daughter. A sign that says "Relax" (I need this).

Now that my son has sold his home and for a while will be home free - mom is keeping some items for him. So - in every room I have reminders of this special son.

This list could go on and on - so - Tabor - on this rainy and stormy morning - you gave One Woman a trip down memory lane.

I am sure that everyone who reads my rambling this morning can relate to this sharing.

Have a great day!!!!!

6 comments:

Tabor said...

I really like your new header. You are beginning to have so much fun with that camera! I remember when you were first discouraged, but I am so glad you now have weathered it through.

One Woman's Journey said...

Tabor, thank you. I was truly surprised when I downloaded the image of my bush.
You and Cate from Beyond The Fields We Know - are the two that I noticed all of your pictures, and would dream. I had the thought not to long ago "can this novice even attempt this"?

茂恒 said...

I do like ur article~!!!...................................................

thesouthernlady64 said...

Isn't it amazing some of the things we keep and mean so much to us because they make us think of someone or another time in our lives. I have such items, too. They are very dear to me. I hope you have not washed away. I saw where Tennessee has so much flooding. It is getting here now. My yard looks like a swimming pool.
I hope you have a great week.

Cloudhands said...

I only have a vague idea of where you are and watching the weather maps I'm pretty sure you are in a worrisome place. May you and all your wonderful touch stones be safe and secure. I am listening to thunder, but feel safe this far east and high on a mountain.

One Woman's Journey said...

Judy, Cloudhands and comment in a language I am not familiar with - thank you for visiting.