Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Monday, June 1, 2009

The Beat Goes On

One Woman's - Monday. Up at 4:30 AM. Left home at 7:00. Arrrived woods site at 8:00.
My helper was waiting for me to arrive. The concrete people on Saturday formed my small curved walkway to screen porch, steps from deck area to garden area and a small slab in front of front porch before you go up wooden steps.
This was done on Saturday and I was told they would arrive at dawn on Monday to remove the forms so helper and myself could fill in around the concrete work and I was going to pick up a truck load of mulch and we would plant 2 Rhododendrons and 2 Oak Leaf Hydrangea's that were beginning to wilt. Also brought some ground cover to see if they would like this new home.
Also wanted to begin moving plants from my woods nursery - closer to house.

HOW - can soil that was so muddy last week be so hard today that you can hardly put a shovel in it. Is this Tennessee country soil or is it like this everywhere. Rain, rain and more rain and now hot hot sun. Hopefully some of the grass seed will come up.

WELL - the concrete men did not show. They are coming this evening. SO - what should we do? Continued clearing some more of the woods surrounding back of house and had two fires going.

Also unloaded truck of items I brought for the garage. Every time I go - I am taking something.

Plumber arrived and put in commodes, sinks with faucets and my microwave. Also put up an antique lamp that I have had for 40 years. It will be over my kitchen table. The builder/carpenter was busy installing the railing around the small loft area. This material was promised every day last week - I lost my temper (I am really ashamed of myself as I thought I no longer could display such strong anger - guess I am still a work in progress) when I called on Friday as it was holding up progress. It finally arrived on Saturday. After this woodwork and banisters are installed the upstairs can be carpeted. If funds were available I would put the pine flooring upstairs. BUT
since this area with guest bedroom will not be used often I am putting a flat oatmeal colored carpet.
If I were a few years younger and my knee with arthritis - after surgery to repair torn cartilage (from two much digging in the dirt) - did not bother me occasionally - I would have my computer on this upstairs loft in front of a window. BUT - I would be up and down the stairs a dozen times a day and that I cannot tolerate. That is what my son tells his mom.

NEXT the downstairs pine flooring will be stained and my appliances can be installed.

THEN - One Woman can move 1/3 from city home to the country.

THEN - I can finally experience what it is like to be ALONE in my country home without workers. ALSO - to remember how black the nights and how loud the night sounds.

WONDER - if I will like it?

Enough shared. Wonder if anyone in the future will enjoy reading this rambling?

I will return in the morning with my 6 year old granddaughter to haul mulch. Maybe she will enjoy playing with the large boxes grandma saved for her to play in.

Quick note - Someone pulled down my long gravel drive and moved a barrier so they could turn around.
Hey - do not do that. Or at least put the barrier back in place so I would not know you made a visit or better yet - leave me a note. It might say "Enjoyed your new work in progress".

One Woman's Journey continues

14 comments:

Cloudhands said...

I don't know about the future, but I'm enjoying your building account as you go along. All aggravations and victories are vicariously shared, certainly not with the same passion you must have felt,but with a tug at my heart and a slight grinding of my teeth.

I can testify to the wonder and peace of a deep black night. I love to star gaze. Night sounds are slumber enducers for me. As to being alone in the country I can't help you there I still have a man in the house. But, I like to think I'd do fine. I expect you will adjust beautifully.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Cloudhands, thank you so much for your encouragement. You make me smile. Have a good night. I am turning in. You write beautifully. I just ramble on. Guess it is like I "talk". But that is only one on one. With more then one I am quiet. Guess the computer and I are one on one.

Sky said...

sounds like things are moving along quickly. you have made great progress. i can hardly wait to hear about the night sounds, perhaps the wild animals, and the beautiful starshine in the totally darkened sky. so much more to tell us after you get moved in. there will be moments of quiet stillness in your new gardens, thoughts of older days in another home, dreams of new days in this fabulous wooded retreat. so much living ahead and so much to tell!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky, you know how to speak to my heart. Blessings sent your way this early morning.

Judy said...

Sounds like everything is beginning to come together and it won't be long now until you are able to stay there in your cottage in the woods. I bet you won't be able to sleep the first night you will be so excited and eager to do stuff by yourself. I think you have a whole crowd of bloggers assisting you along the way each day and like me enjoying your trips!

Tabor said...

I would love to see photos of the work in progress, but I know that you only want to show the neater parts of this process. Perhaps somene drove down the drive to deliver somethig for the builder? Are you going to pave the drive or leave it gravel?

kenju said...

I enjoy your progress and I suspect that years from now, that your granddaughter will enjoy reading this.

Darlene said...

In spite of the delay in having material delivered I think your house building has progressed remarkably well.

My husband and I remodeled one house and built two more so I know how frustrating it can be when one sub-contractor stalls the whole process. You had a right to lose your temper.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy, Tabor, Kenju and Darlene - thank you for your comments.
They help keep me going.
Tabor - a long gravel drive and no pictures until there is a pleasant image to share!!

MsGraysea said...

You are leaving a very valuable legacy by writing here, and it is so honest and beautiful.
I laughed at you mentioning a slight meltdown when something didn't go right. Being in the building business, I can share your frustration and assure you that rarely does a project end without that happening. It is OK and healthy.
Great idea to bring things out every trip to save all the work at the end! You are a "pro" and it is such fun for all of us to follow along.
Thank you for the encouragement sent my way....much appreciated and today is a better day.

Gilly said...

Your new house sounds just great, and I look forward to reading about how you get to love the country nights. Now we havwe moved to a town I do miss them.

I'm just puzzled over one thing - why do you need a plumber to put in your microwave? Are American microwaves a much different beast from our very ordinary British ones??

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Marcia, thank you for the encouragement. Gilly, my plumber/electrician are the same person. Both of you have a great day.

Mim said...

Did you ever figure out who drove down your driveway and moved the barrier?!Hope you are remaing strong for the move and feeling like the end is in sight.
Enjoying your journey!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Mim, never did know who moved the barrier. They had to move it to turn around. I am tired but all is going well.