Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Winter Night

A snowy evening. Cuisine perfect in a restaurant that looked like a log cabin. Roaring fire, candles on the tables and soft music in the background. A glass of wine, salad and her favorite crab stuffed shrimp was set in front of her. In many ways it became a night to remember. She was young, a career and no lack of interested beaus . Here she was on another date just to fill time. A boring time. She vowed never to spend any more evenings like this.
Trip to to restroom and a waitress appeared sharing that someone quite well known would like to meet her. A stranger she would not consider. After several episodes like this a phone number was shared. It was shared with the thought that this individual, whoever he was could easily be rejected.
A week later on an evening with this stranger in the same setting - it was magical. As the evening ended and the car pulled out with the soft snow falling he held her hand. At the moment she would have gone anywhere with him and he felt the same. The beginning of love in youth is magical. Many times it does not last. Then it is good that we all grow up.

9 comments:

kenju said...

Oooh, good story! I want more.

Tabor said...

Yes, you did lead a very rich life and it does change all the time. Good memories to savor.

Judy said...

I remember feeling like that. Time stands still and you are oblivious to anything else in life but the two of you. I remember reading somewhere that you don't age during these times! I can see why if it is true. We are so much alike.

Marcie said...

Ernestine,

Ah, those moments of hope and expectation are some of the best moments in life! Thank you for sharing this one. :)

Gail said...

Lovely story...just wanted to say I loved that you visited and left a comment! Take care, have a good holiday week! Coffee/tea sometime in January? Gail

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

kenju, Tabor, Judy, Aisling, thank you for the comment on my winter story. Yes, Judy - we may be twins.
Gail, that sounds great. Wonder what January will bring?
All of you take care and thank you for being my online friends.

Lonely Rivers said...

Very sweet story! Thank you so much for visiting my newish (and, I admit, kind of wistful) blog and leaving the very first ever comment. This connection via the internet is so very very powerful..we are reminded that we share this planet with beautiful souls..

Sky said...

do some installments on this one...we are all perked up and ready to listen! :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Lonely Rivers, for some reason I seem to connect with your sharing.
Being able to connect over internet is new to me and so surprising that I find like souls out there. I need it. A gift to me.
Sky, thank you and who knows there may be some more installments. Some so happy and some so sad I do not know if I want to go there.
Blessings to you both.