Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Unexpected Pleasure

My day as usual started early. I am usually up between 5:00 and 6:00. I have not felt as energetic as I use to for quite a while. In conversations with myself, I think is this part of aging? Is it Sjogren's syndrome that I have been diagnosed with? Is is the spot on my lungs that was discovered several months ago? I truly do not know. All of this just seemed to happen overnight.

I read a comment on the blog Time Goes By, and I wish they were my original words (I could not contact the lady to see if it was alright to use her words and I surely hope it is alright).

How did I get to this point and what am I suppose to do now?

My exact thoughts.

My cloud lifted as the day progressed. My youngest daughter was stopping by at noon and going to have lunch with me. I called my son who is recovering from jet lag from his return trip from Thailand and he said he would join us.

Then the surprise that put a smile on this grandma's face. My oldest granddaughter who will soon be a senior at Vanderbilt University called and said: "Grandma I am going to come by and visit"

So a lunch was quickly put together. The chicken that had been bought for the weekend was soon in oven. The crisper drawer emptied and a great salad was produced. Side dishes of fruit, stuffed eggs, celery and carrot sticks and an avocado was sliced. Luckily a can of sliced pineapple in the pantry produced a pineapple upside down cake. A pitcher of fruit tea was made as I waited for my lunch guest.

Where did the energy come from to do this?

Now that everyone has left I contemplate this.

Guess it is just being a mother and grandmother. The excitement of not spending the day alone. Each guest so special: My youngest daughter who has given me my two youngest grandchildren 3 and 5. My only son who I missed for 3 months while he was abroad. This special granddaughter who through the years has always brought a smile to my face. Memories of her visiting me at my 100 year old farm home flooded my mind. We would sit on the swing in the evening and listen to the night sounds. I would brush her hair and we would talk.

Where has time gone?

So the kitchen is back in order and I am checking my computer. Trying to figure out how to post images on my new blog. It will come. Part of another day on one woman's journey.


5 comments:

Meredith said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day!

They are lucky to have you.

Busy Mom said...

Sounds nice! I hope the storms passed you by today.

Samantha said...

I am so glad to be invited on this journey! Love you!

Liza on Maui said...

Oh yes, the surge of energy comes as we moms get to spend time with our loved ones (kids and grandkids).

Don't worry about posting photos for now. Keep posting some of your thoughts. When I get a chance, I'd e-mail some instructions on how to post photos on blogger. In meantime, we enjoy reading your posts :)

Beverly said...

I am exactly like me. I can be feeling so tired, and lazy, but let a visitor come by, like children or grandchildren and I buzz around like a bee. Most days that I am off work during the week, I am so lonely foe company. I love your blogging.