Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, April 18, 2008

A Day in My Life

I came across this post that a young woman writes in Australia so I thought I would try it.


This might be something I will do monthly, not to show how much I do or do not do - just thought it would be interesting.

I always wake about 5 o'clock in the morning. I always pray before my feet hit the floor for the beginning of my day.

5:30 my day begins. I let Sadie off of the screen porch.

Make my bed up. I love the new white duvet that I bought for my new home. I like my bedroom all tidy and neat.

Dress for the day. I love my old clothes - slacks and a sweater and tennis shoes. In the past I had to dress up a lot and I cherish this time of a simpler lifestyle

Tidy myself and work on hair. Oh I wish I did not have this fine short hair that I have to really work at to make it look presentable for the day.

Wind up my clocks, all 7 of them. 5 chime. I love it. One was my mother's. Another was my grandmother and great grandmother's. One is an old school clock that I bought almost 50 years ago.

Turn on the computer and check Ronni's site. Read any emails that came in late yesterday and read a few more interesting sites.

Put Sadie's food out on screen porch.

20 minutes of yoga.

Breakfast time of cereal, fruit, 2 cups of green tea and one of my special bran muffins that I make. They are so good and healthy. Have carrots, apples, raisins and nuts in them.

After breakfast I do a load of wash. It is going to be a beautiful day and I put the clothes on a rack outside.

Take Sadie for a walk. I go a little further in my new neighborhood each time I walk.

A few phone calls made and a few received. I wait for the contractor to come by and look at my new wood floor that squeaks. My son says that adds character. Maybe in an old home but not in my new home of only one year.

Decided to go over hardwood floors. I love my new wood floors. Ran the swifter and then lightly damp mopped with vinegar and water. Oh how they shine.

Lunch time. It is beautiful outside and I take my sandwich outside and sit in the sun.

Decide after lunch to finish planting my little garden.

I plant two hills of yellow squash, zucchini and cantaloupe, as well as a small row of cucumbers and green beans. This added to the lettuce that is already 2 inches high, my 50 onion sets, a few strawberry plants and my three tomato plants.

Since this is a new garden and an experiment to see what grows, I will be thrilled to have enough for this one person.

I grow weary of trying to decide what to prepare for dinner for one. I decide to cook some collard greens. My oldest daughter who lives in Massachusetts says they are really good for you. I put a handful of chopped green, red and yellow peppers in them. I have grown tired of broccoli

Shrimp scampi was decided on. Fold the cooked angel hair pasta into the simmered butter and olive oil and shrimp. Makes a tasty dinner for one.

After washing dishes went out on front porch to sit in swing. I love a porch swing.

Thought of reading but just want to be still. I need to start reading more and buying fewer books. I must have 30 or more unread books. I love my books.

In the winter it is so enjoyable to sit by the fire and read.

Time to begin to wind down.

Checked emails before turning computer off.

Ready for bed and prayer and meditating time until I fall asleep.

A good way to end this day on my journey through life.



2 comments:

Liza on Maui said...

I wish I was there to share the Shrimp scampi with you - I love shrimps!!!!

millie garfield said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog.

I read your bio and notices one of your favorite books was "The Shell Seekers." Did you happen to catch it on TV the other night?

I read the book and loved it! The TV production did not do it justice. If you hadn't read the book you just could not appreciate the story.

That's the way TV is today.