Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Is There Life Out There?

May 23, 1994

Dear Ernestine,

Once in a great while you meet someone as a total stranger who will become unforgettable in your life.

From the day we met...you have been indelibly logged in my memory. I hope as the days pass, having surveyed your manse and are satisfied it has been restored to its distinctive environment, you will recall this "event" in your life with a fondness that assuages the dark moments of doubt and anxiety.

You are a remarkable woman, who like Lily in our movie, is still searching, thirsting for life out there.

I admire that in you. On behalf of everyone associated with me in the making of this movie, I want to express heartfelt appreciation for your hospitality and generosity of spirit.

Sincerely
Marian Rees
Executive Producer
Best Shot Productions, Inc.


One spring day in 1994 there was a knock at the door of my old 100-year-old farm home. A young man gave me his card and said he was with a movie company. He went on to share that they were looking for a home like mine that they might use for a few weeks to shoot part of a film. I invited him in and he shared part of how they would go about turning part of my home into a movie set.

At this particular time the thought came to my mind many times "Is there Life out There?," just like the title of the movie. My youngest had finished college and was working as an editor at a university in Nashville.

I was missing having a family with me. I had thoughts of reentering the job market, but at this time I had not. The fee that was being offered to me for the use of my home was no great amount but would come in handy. So I signed a contract.

The work began and in several weeks a set was created in part of my home. The majority of my furniture was stored in unused rooms.

The morning they were to begin I could hear trucks all night on the road in front of my home. Oh what a surprise at daybreak. Truck after truck, probably 30 were lined up all down the road. In a few hours my quiet retreat was invaded by many many people

To make a long story short, it was a nightmare!

The production company wanted me to leave and stay in a motel while this was going on. It was that unsettling. But I refused.

My children seemed to think this was exciting and I should view it as an adventure. But I guess mom could not.

The star of this film was country music star Reba.

I guess the most enjoyable part was the excellent meals prepared by one of the best catering company's in Nashville. Everyday they would prepare and grill everything you could think of for lunch. There were a dozen or more long table set out at the edge of my orchard. It was really picturesque. Wish I could have just merged into this experience.

Another memory on my journey through life.

3 comments:

Beverly said...

oh, my. I do not know if I could have done that. It is an experience that will never happen again, so now you have memories of the time that the rest of us will never know. I was once a stand in in a John Grishham movie here in Memphis. Tommy Lee Jones walked right by me, smiled and said hello, just like I was someone...

Liza on Maui said...

OK, I don't know who Reba is, but this is an exciting part of your journey. I'll google it :)

Keep posting - it's wonderful reading your journey :)

Tabor said...

Thanks for stopping by my place! I do recognize an experience like this. My husband's cousin, who lives in Southern California, also had her home invaded...for a commercial, I think. she had a lovely cozy small home decorated wonderfully and was traumatized by the whole event. It lasted almost a week. She said she would never go through that again. I think it is somewhat like agreeing to have someone do 'art' shots of you naked and finding they weren't all that good---aka Mylie!