Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Delightful Spring Has Arrived

The weather is delightful.
A new surprise daily in the garden as plants emerge.
Several plants I have forgotten
what they are :)  Some plants spreading wildly and I will dig up sections
and put in the woods.
Paths surrounding this cottage have been kept clear for 5 years
but not this winter and am amazed at all of the branches
that fell from the old trees this winter.
Spent time picking up many and could hardly find my old paths
because of leaves and limbs.
Busyness continues as porches, decks, outside furniture are all
 cleaned and several pieces repainted.  Umbrella put on table
and outside rugs in place.
Inside plants taken outside and several so big I struggled
bringing them down from the loft - but succeeded by sitting down
and going down one step at a time (next year I will not do this.)
Extra beds have clean sheets on them, an air mattress purchased for extra sleeping,
 quilts aired along with winter
clothes that have been put away.
Boards have been taken away that surrounded the small veggie garden,
 have decided to just garden in pots with herbs, vegetables  and
make trips weekly to the local Farmers Market for some of what I have grown in the past.
(I need to simplify a lot that I have always done)
Lettuce and green onions a good size at the moment.
I lost my huge Rosemary plant which was 5 years old and need to buy a new plant.
I have spread many bags of mulch and this is something I need to stop doing....

The birds fill the feeders and are so welcome but have not spotted the Hummers as of yet.
Bluebirds are spotted coming and going from the birdhouses but usually camera not handy for an
image of them.

So a lot going on here in the woods home and have to have help nailing the heavy
Woodhaven sign up as it came loose during a storm.
Grass will be cut for the first time the end of the week and always like
looking at new plowed soil which will be done in another week for corn to be planted.

Friday will be a busy day with some baking, table set and probably a last run
to the market and want to pick up Kites for my two youngest grandchildren.  The local nursery opens and want to purchase several large ferns.

Can hardly wait for my children and grandchildren to arrive and fill this cottage.
Always so quiet with just sounds of nature but
the walls will echo their voices after they have all left and once again
it will be just me, Miss Callie and my son for a few weeks.

Must add
looking foreword to wild flowers emerging in the woods...

Oh, I think the Morel Mushroom hunters will be arriving soon.
Would love to cook some of their treasures
but still very hesitant to eat their findings from my woods.

On a sad note
over the last month, friends with strokes, broken bones and a visit
to the funeral home yesterday.

But life is good for this one and I have so much to be thankful for.

Might add, I am hooked on this morning juicing that I started about 3 weeks ago.
It is so tasty and now sure I am getting my daily vegetables :)

Enough shared...

13 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your post was a delight Ernestine. I was walking around with you seeing everything. You always inspire me.

Have a wonderful time with your family and keep enjoying your wonderful haven.

FlowerLady

Tabor said...

YOur post sound so much like my last one, I wonder if you are my alter in the universe? Yes, three deaths this month in my circle. I do think you are wise to avoid anything that can create a broken bone or two. Takes too long to heal! You do sound happy and looking forward to the big visit!

Sallysmom said...

Sounds exciting getting ready for family. I hope you have a wonderful time.

nancy at good food matters said...

Hi Ernestine, I loved reading your ode to spring, cleaning, and seeing the world anew--despite the harsher aspects, illness, deaths, all transitions.

Morel hunters? my goodness! Do you have ramps (wild leeks) in your woods?

Pienosole said...

I too felt delight in reading your post. Much continued joy to you as spring unfolds :-).

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Lorraine, Tabor, Sallysmom and Pienosole, :)
Nancy, will look up the image of the wild leeks. These damp old woods may contain some and would like to know. Thank you for telling me about them...

lil red hen said...

Your post radiates with your excitement! I'm so happy for you ~ but ~ don't overwork yourself. Keep some energy for the days ahead.

We're having a few pretty days now, but it's still too threatening to put out any flowers or veggies.

Judy said...

I love this post. New life surrounding you, even as life passes away. Soon--the delightful noise of children and their children. I could take it for a day or two, but then would need my quietness back. ENJOY!!!

MsGraysea said...

Such a happy and descriptive post.....felt like I was right there with you. Every yard here is filled with branches, sticks and broken trees, too. Such a winter.
Love the anticipation for your visitors!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Charlotte, Judy and Marcia,
thanks for visiting...

Wisewebwoman said...

Oh I do worry about you and stairs and lifting things. Not good to take the risk.

On the other hand I love how you are greeting spring.

It is yet to arrive here out on the edge of the Atlantic :)

XO
WWW

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

WWW, I stay concerned also but just keep moving and being careful. Next season someone can help me with the plants. I could have waited for family to bring down - but like always I just keep pushing :) I will never rust out - just wear out :)

Sharon said...

I enjoyed this upbeat post rich with all the wonderful things happening in your world. You give me hope that spring will return here as she slowly moves north. We have to start thinking about work outside because there is much to clean up this year.