Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Beauty

Everywhere I look
on this beautiful sunny afternoon
I see beauty.
"Is it like this every Spring"
I say to myself
and answer my question
"of course it is."

But I truly think as we grow older
every bit of natures beauty becomes more precious....

The bumbles are busy everywhere and
even busy drilling many holes in my deck.
When wood was installed 4 years ago
I was told the wood was treated and this would not happen :)
Picture sent to me this morning
and this one among many others  will soon bring back memories of this special family time.

Books on almost every surface in this cottage.
Every book has pieces of paper marking pages that
 remind me of special words.
I open "Solitary Garden" by Elizabeth von Arnim (a favorite book)
and read what I have underlined
and smile
as I think of this one....

"It will grow I know sweeter every year, but it is too big ever to be perfect and get to look
immaculate.  Nature herself is untidy and she should come first and my clipping shears
come humbly behind."

She goes on to share "sometimes when I am in a critical mood, I shake my head at the
bushes that stretch themselves across the paths, reminding me that they have not been pruned,
and the teeming plant life rejoices on the lawns free from all interference from men and hoes."

Oh yes
for 4 years I have tried to keep the gardens and lawn close to this cottage immaculate,
but this Spring it will be different and from this day foreword
it will be more natural
and I almost can hear all plant life saying - along with my son....
"thank you."

11 comments:

Tabor said...

Sharing. We give up space and we take some space. We enjoy the garden and do not look at it as a chore.

Lonely Rivers said...

So thrilled to see that you treasure this book that I suggested to you some years ago! When I read it, I constantly thought of you.

Judy said...

Nothing wrong with the natural look. I have a few wild flowers growing on my lawn and---I love them!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

LR - Oh yes, it is a favorite book that I pick up frequently
and always think of you :)
thank you again...
Tabor and Judy :)

Balisha said...

I have the book "Elizabeth and her German Garden" by the same author and I know that there's a sequel entitled "Solitary Summer." Would this be the book you are talking about...or is there another?
Balisha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, yes - my book
is "Solitary Garden"
love it...

Sharon said...

Natural is best when you live in the woods. Enjoy a bit of cultivating right at your door and let the rest enjoy the freedom of just being ~

Hill Top Post said...

Mother Nature is definitely a Master Gardener! We actually do more harm than good when we cut and clip and mow and rake and burn and... I know your Woodhaven is beautiful in all seasons, but maybe a bit more in spring.

Wisewebwoman said...

I think my vast meadow is far too natural and perhaps you encourage me to keep it that way, it is a rugged landscape out here.

I love your photos, your one of the lilacs was such a hit - nearly 50 likes :)and several shares. Thank you for letting me use it to assure everyone that spring was here.

XO
WWW

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon, Mary and WWW, thank you.
WWW, oh my
about sharing my image :)

Haddock said...

allowing it to be be more natural is the right choice I suppose.