Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Equanimity

Oh my
early morning
I said no computer
but turned it on.
I began to read an article
that made me even more aware of this word.

Equanimity
when researching meaning of this word
I realize I have much to work on and
that I will never arrive
but hopefully better.

Thesaurus - Calmness

Webster's Dictionary - A habit of mind that is rarely disturbed under great strain.
                                     Control of mental or emotional agitation by an effort of
                                     will or matter of habit.
                                     Maintaining composure - great calmness or steadiness
                                     under pressure.

So trying not to overly react to life happenings of
Disappointment, blame, success, failure, praise, pleasure, pain, fame or disgrace.

As I look back over my past and life as it is today
I realize that I respond to some of these happenings well
and others truly fail.

Lifetime work, but this early morning
this word reminded me of much.

What does it say to you?

5 comments:

Judy said...

If only it would enter this house!

Balisha said...

I fail at this less often than years ago. Maybe it's age related. The first thing that comes to mind is Yoga. If I'm alone....I can really calm myself, but another person, just coming in the room, can disturb that. So, I guess I'm not really there yet. When I look back at what disturbed the calm...it's often times so trivial. I think women are nurturers and worriers. We have to learn to calm our minds.

Balisha

Wisewebwoman said...

Sometimes it sneaks upon me when I least expect it. It runs when I try to catch it.
XO
WWW

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy and Balisha, thank you.
WWW, I did not do to good yesterday:) I think I am in your spam box again...

MsGraysea said...

Equanimity is exactly what I have been striving for this week,e specially. Many challenges, life changing in all cases, are on my plate right now. I am so glad you posted this timely reinforcement for me. Today is a peaceful, calm and sunny day, and the solutions are drifting in to place. Thanks for the help!