Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Like Fall

Waking up to a Fall like morning,
60 degrees,
screen doors open
and it was delightful
Something new in the garden
White Moon flower..
Most of my plants have a story.
This was shared from the city house.
Beautiful bush I was not familiar with was in the garden of a home near me when
I lived in the city.  A piece of plant was given to me.  A sad story as I viewed the
deteriorating home and garden.  I could see the love and years of attention that once
existed.  The elderly lady had passed away in a nursing home and the estate was being
settled.  I also have several of her old concrete flower pots and I never look at them
without recalling where they once lived.
The small section of this bush that has surfaced was not here last year - so this is a
welcome surprise.

I picked 7 pears and one had to be thrown away.  Will try to make a small portion of the
old pear preserve recipe that is in my file.  How amazing that this small tree was planted
last year and no pears were expected this soon.
Also just finished planting a small strip of turnip greens.  Found the seeds in the freezer.
They are my favorite and this seemed like a perfect morning to sow them.
Not planning on writing this morning and the morning is getting away from me.  Need to make my French toast and also banana bread from really ripe bananas.
Wanted to share that it is a beautiful morning and have thoughts of wondering
what Fall will be like.....

13 comments:

Tabor said...

Very impressive that you have pears!! Hubby planted his several years ago and the squirrels have eaten every single one each year. We hope they do not discovered the fig tree!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, I found it unbelievable that in one year I would have these beauties. It was a very small tree from Lowes...

Marion said...

The flower is a sacred datura Moonflower. I have them in white, yellow and pink. They'll make giant, prickly seed pods that are full of seeds you can save for next year. xo

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I thought your bloom was a moonflower and see that someone else already beat me to telling you so. I love those beauties and it is so neat to watch them unfurl. Glad you were able to get a piece of this and some flower pots too. It's nice to be able to picture where things came from.

How wonderful that you have pears.

Enjoy your fallish weather. It is still the dog days of summer down here.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady

lil red hen said...

Oh boy! Pear preserves are some of my favorites! And turnip greens are a wonderful way to end summer's bounty. We're cooler, upper 90s, but still no rain, so I plan to sow some seeds and try to water them some.

You make me happy every day with your writings.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Marion and Lorrine, thank you.
Charlotte, how nice for my simple writing and lifestyle - pleases you. You make me smile...

Judy said...

The weather here has been nice and cool too--I so enjoy having the doors and windows open--a bit chilly at night however. I don't wonder about fall--just hope we have another easy winter.

the wild magnolia said...

Love the moon flower and story. Love all your stories. Turnips, mmmmmm. Pears mmmmmmm....

Happy new week.......

Lynn said...

Glad you are in the cool ~ we are still feeling the heat. Happy Monday.

Friko said...

It's the small things in life which give the greatest pleasure. An unexpectant sight, an early pear, what could be sweeter.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy, Sandy, Lynn and Friko,
your welcome comments just read.
A delightful day - but - more rain and winds..

MsGraysea said...

What beautifully perfect pears. So happy you have that lovely cool air, too. We are waiting. Please send some to Cape Cod, too!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Marcia, thanks for visiting...