Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Beautiful Woods


She ventured a little further into the woods. More comfortable she will be when soon the paths are cleared.

The May apples are in full bloom and very difficult to get a good image. The bloom is under the large leaves and a light breeze keeps the foliage moving. A number of images deleted but this one was satisfying.

New at this type of photography, she finds it so pleasing to take an image and hurry inside to download the picture. The image that comes up on the computer looks so different then what her eye beholds.

Her son just returned from a few day trip to New York. He shared about his visit and the beauty of the Botanical Garden. It sounds so magnificent - but if I had a choice of a garden of this type with a number of gardeners - One Woman would choose her ragged garden. A simple garden with a variety of plants that blend into one another. An English cottage type garden. Even with this late in life and simpler garden the work never stops. There will be pruning, dead heading, collecting of seeds and separating plants that do very well.

I do have to share that my gardens were not always ragged. A time in younger years when every flower bed was edged to perfection. Time has taken care of the desire for perfection in many areas of her life. She struggles with this at times - but it is a losing battle She does not like the fact that the terrace and walk is always covered with leaves and other items that come from being surrounded by trees. Some days she will sweep, use blower and hose off these areas many times - to no avail - in a short time it has the look she cannot - but will have to - get use to.

The wild turkeys have been venturing closer to the woods house. Callie usually keeps them chased away but yesterday we both fell asleep early. Not quite dark and looking out the windows their were 6 turkeys in the yard. Opened the door and clapped my hands and they were gone. Do not want them in my beginning garden.

Wherever you are on this planet - peace and happiness is sent your way from One Woman.

7 comments:

Tabor said...

You are now living in a homemade heaven and I am so happy for you. This is what you envisioned and it is slowly coming true. Digital photography is my main hobby and involves hours and hours each week. I am now learning a new software since my old one kept locking up!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, thank you - my vision and dream has become a reality.
Just in my dreamy state - I forgot about the leaves,limbs in the small yard, moles, wild turkey, deer, Callie's muddy tracks everywhere and ticks.
Some that have known me in another world - would probably say - "I cannot believe you are living like an old woman in tattered work clothes in the woods.
Hey, but I have a smile on my face and peace in my heart.
I may put up a gate where no one can venture in :)

Jessi Cotterill said...

Wow!! Beautiful woods... I wish I walked in there..

Lonely Rivers said...

It is inspiring that you have made your vision a reality - and it is lovely too that you share your paradise with all of us. Love your photos! LR

Sky said...

wandering into the woods sounds so inviting until i imagine snakes! ;) love the photo of the mayapple. i am so glad you have this serene retreat. none of those intruders you mention above really matters. it is the peaceful communion with nature that brings the joy.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Jessi, LR and Sky - thank you for visiting me and your warm comments.

MsGraysea said...

Ah, Ernestine, nature teaches us an infinite variety of lessons, if only we will observe. Seems you are doing just that. As I read this post, I felt, very present with you in your beautiful haven.
We are flying to Baltimore today for a 5 day visit with my brother! It will be way warmer than Cape Cod and so welcome.
Peace!