Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My Smile For The Day

My granddaughter Sarah has been in love with the French Horn for almost as long as I can remember. Grandma admires her discipline and dedication to this musical instrument. In fact, at the moment, I cannot think of any one else in our family that has been this passionate about a musical instrument. She never goes a day without pursuing this passion. When she was young - her grandma use to ask her - why the French Horn -why not the guitar, violin or piano? Grandma is familiar with these instruments but not the French Horn.

Sarah attends North Western in Illinois.

A phone call received yesterday from her (I love calls from my grandchildren) to tell grandma she will be attending the Music Academy Of The West in Santa Barbra, California - this summer.

A true honor as not many horn players are offered this opportunity.

A very special time is in store for her. http://www.musicacademy.org/

Since 1947 the Music Academy of the West has fostered a uniquely joyful engagement with music. Each June 140 gifted young classical singers and instrumentalists, selected entirely for their talent, gather for eight weeks in Santa Barbara to study and make music with illustrious guest artists, conductors, and faculty – all to the delight of participating audiences. We invite you to take part in the incomparable Music Academy Summer Festival.

Needless to say, Grandma is proud of her and sends her love.

On a lighter note - It is Spring Break time in our area. My daughter told my little granddaughter they were going to have a special day. Going somewhere with beautiful plants and water. My little one replied "are we going to "Home Depot"? My daughter had in mind lunch and the wonderful scenery at Opryland Hotel. Home Depot like Lowe's at this time of the year, beautiful plants arriving. I love wandering among the plants and sometimes have the thought "I could take my lunch and sit on one of the garden benches".

4 comments:

Tabor said...

I also love perusing the plant and garden centers everywhere this time of year and would spend a fortune...if I had one. You little granddaughter has good taste and you other granddaughter is going to go places!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I guess garden centers and books are my main weakness. At the moment not exposed to much else and do not want to be - except maybe seafood!!!
Sarah's dream to play in a symphony. Thank you for the kind comment.

Beverly said...

So excited for your granddaughter...
I thought they young granddaughter's reply to her mother was priceless....
You just have to sit in the country to have a wonderful view...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly, thanks for checking in.
Yes, our little ones can say the cutest things.
Have a great day!!!