Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, January 23, 2009

The Woods House - A New Beginning

I have to write to someone, so I will write my special son who always has time to listen to his mama. Even if she repeats herself many times and at times I know I bore him.
I could not sleep last night. Kept having thoughts about my garage door. At first I planned a separate garage with a porch on it like I have at this city cottage. After much thought I came to the conclusion that an attached garage is better for me and also if someone in the future wants to expand this smaller home they can make it into a den or bedroom with a fireplace.
I do not like a garage door opening in the front but since this home is 1000 feet of the road in front it does not matter. Kept thinking that door in back might make me uncomfortable.
Who in the world is going to be looking at One Woman working at the back of home with the garage door open - with them standing in the middle of 75 acres of woods.
So, I headed for the country early this morning to look at layout again. Decided garage door will open in back and contractor liked my decision.
I am excited about my new smaller home. I will have a screen porch on the side, a deck on the back since the land has a slight slope.
The home sits at the edge of the woods and a lot of trees have been cut down. There are years of branches, fallen trees, wild growth, etc - everywhere I look. Of course it being January all of this is more noticeable. When Spring arrives a lot of it you will not even notice.
I am promising myself not to take the balance of my years grooming the woods.
I will have less flowers, small vegetable and herb garden. No lawn to speak of as I will just clear around house and crops are planted in the field in front of this home. Guess that is it and grandma wants time to enjoy the stillness, read, write, notice the many different birds and continue to improve her image taking.
Gravel was spread on my drive today and footing for home to be poured on Monday.

So my children that bless my new adventure and the children that wonder if mom has lost her mind by creating and moving again and worrying that she will overdo - like in the past - please just smile at me, hug me and listen to me share. If I grow weary a visit with a sandwich would help. Please keep in touch through this process.
So everything is going forward and I am at peace. This home has to sell and that says it all.

Oh, the perfect tree for my little granddaughters to have a high swing has been found and the contractor is going to make a burning pit where there can be a fire where hot dogs and marshmallows can be cooked.

So on my journal I will be writing about this new adventure.

One Woman's Journey Through This Life - has a special entry.

14 comments:

Tabor said...

This is wonderful. Just the project will keep you very happy. You need to start another blog that has photos and anecdotes, etc. I did that with the building of my house. I printed it out for my own remembrance and deleted the blog itself when I was done.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, thank you so very much. I have repeated this project a number of times. But I am a lot older. You are my first comment.
Thanks again.

Meredith said...

Excited for you!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Meredith, thank you. So pleased that when I entered the blogging world that I found you.

Zabetha said...

Your dream home sounds beautiful, I look forward to your coming blog posts about building it. What a great adventure!

L. said...

I am looking forward to 'going' on this wonderful journey with you.... : )



xoxo

Judy said...

I am so excited for you as you tell us about each episode of your project. You must start taking pictures as you go and posting here so that we can follow you on your journey. I envy you your spunk and ambition in doing what your heart tells you to do. You are an inspiration to me.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Grammie and Judy, thank you for the comments. I have not been commenting much and reading as often. Busy with other things but I am still here and will catch up.

Beverly said...

Wow...things are progressing. You are definitely a Woman with a purpose. Now cobwebs on you...you move too fast. Not too fast, but too fast for cobwebs to grow....
I am so happy for you.

Gail said...

Ernestine,

Your plans sound perfect and I love that you don't want to take the balance of your years grooming the woods... I love, too, that you call your home in the city...your city cottage! You must be wonderfully excited...gailGail

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly thank you for the nice words. Gail, thank you also and I still want to meet for tea or coffee some morning since I think you are not to far away. With all of your information on plants I know I will be checking with you often about what emerges in the woods.

Mim said...

Right, who cares if your garage is opening the front... it's still a safe secure garage.
Your plans sound exciting.
Mim

marmee said...

just read your profile and i really love what you have said. especially the part about being more yourself now. hope your dream house really is a dream come true.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Marmee, thank you for visiting me.
I am very familiar with your area.
It is beautiful. Where I am relocating is a little more simple and unmanicured. Check in again.