Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Out of the Mouth of Babes


My just turned 6 year old granddaughter is staying with me several days a week while school is out.

She loves playing in my garden and is always making comments and asking to help.

The other day she came running onto the porch looking for me.

She said "grandma you have amphibians on some of your plants."

I replied "what are you talking about?"

She said for me to follow her and she would show me.

We proceeded to go to my large zucchini plants and turn over two of the leaves.

There were a cluster of tiny objects smaller than the head of a pin on the leaves.

I thought, how in the world did she even notice these. She was surely inspecting grandma's plant very thoroughly.

I scraped the little objects off the leaves.

She was a little off on her correctly naming these objects.

But, I smile that at her age she even knew this word. The knowledge came from school or a video that she had been watching.

So, maybe this granddaughter will love gardening like her grandma.

She reminded me to inspect the leaves of my plants more thoroughly.

Another day in My Journey Through This Life.

3 comments:

Liza on Maui said...

Oh I bet she will (love gardening).

I'm a bit jealous that your grandkids can stay with you on summer break. I'm missing my parents here :(

Anyway, reading your blog brightens my day - it's refreshing.

Beverly said...

what was on the leaf????

Marcie said...

Cute story. Were they aphids?