Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Spring Iris from My Mom

 


Hello everyone and happy spring! I've been thinking about my mom a LOT lately. Spring was probably her favorite season. She loved her flowers so and was always thrilled to have everything bloom. This Iris was the first to bloom for me this year and she gave me these cuttings. I felt like it was her saying hello and happy spring. Perhaps that seems silly but I don't think so. I try to stay aware of any little way she is still here. I have a jade plant that was in her room at the nursing home and it is absolutely thriving in my kitchen window. I'll have to share a photo!

Over the years she gave me many flowers from her yard. I have Iris, Aster, Black Eyed Susans and Lily of the Valley from her yard here at my home. I know I can't do her justice as a gardener as I did not inherit her green thumb. I wish I did! However, these perennials seem to do well.

My girls have had some fun milestones this spring and I will sometimes think to myself, "I need to tell mama." Or "I need to show mama these pictures." My youngest daughter had junior prom and my oldest daughter just got a new summer job here in Nashville at a healthy restaurant - True Food. My mom was always so proud of all her grandchildren.

I know she is with us even though I cannot physically see her.

She loved springtime and the sun. I can almost hear her telling me to go sit in the sun and enjoy it. 

 Miss Callie is doing well and loves my two other dogs (and cat...at least the dogs tolerate the cat.) Mama was not a fan of my cat but he is here to stay and I've grown attached to him.

 Hope you all are doing well. Enjoy the spring and all of its beauty!


10 comments:

Tabor said...

I miss her also. She was such a genteel blogger and yet really an independent woman. Thanks for showing me her flowers.

Pienosole said...

Beautiful and a nice reminder of your Mom, who so loved this season, and of course, her garden. I enjoyed reading this post and look forward to reading others, when you feel like writing. 😊🌸

kerrdelune said...

So happy to read about your mother's flowers flourishing in your garden. I visited her blog every morning and cherish reading about her and your family now. She is missed, and thank you for staying in touch.

Nan said...

I think your way of thinking is wonderful. There are so many things that can't be explained, but only felt. And I think you're right. She is watching over you and your family.

Sallysmom said...

Jamie, thank you for sharing your life with us. I miss your mom & her posts. I am going to go back & reread some today keeping her in my mind. She was a wonderful lady.

PatK said...

Thank you for these thoughts. I miss her but your description of how you are reminded of her makes me stop and think about her and the way she inspired me and still does.

Sallysmom said...

Thinking of Ernestine today. Miss her posts & her words.

Pienosole said...

Happy Birthday, Jamie. 🎂☀️

Bluebird49 said...

I know you miss her so, as I do mine! She was something else!Hope things are well with your she loved you so!!

Sharon said...

Hi Jamie,
I am checking in on blogs I followed for years, many are not available any longer. I was so glad to see you kept Ernestine's blog active. She was a role model for me. I hope you and your family are well. All the best, Sharon