Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Sharing

Have not been up to sharing
but must with so many over the years
reading my "Online Diary."

Blood work and ex rays revealed I am really quite healthy
even with all that is going on much arthritis and aging :)

But was revealed a very high protein level in my blood
which could be multiple melanoma.
The only way a correct diagnosis can be made is with
a bone marrow biopsy.

I do not want this test  but need to know and also to be fair with my children
so they will know.

Told it is at a 50/50 chance.
If it is positive it was shared a treatment will be with medication and steroids.
  I do not like medication and side affects
but now at one step at a time.

Appointment next Tuesday at hospital in Nashville where bone marrow biopsy
will be done.

One minute I am calm and the next kind of emotional with
what if?   In my heart I feel I do not have this and do not want this test.

At 80 I do not want a lot of additional  years but do want the best quality of life I can have,
and told if I have melanoma in my bones and take medication it will give me a better quality of life
for remaining years and if I do not take medication and have this
would not be much quality of life left for me.

Jamie has been so good to me
taking off work
to be with me at oncologist office and so impressed with her note taking.

I smile that after these 3 visits
she sent me an email saying
she was extraordinarily proud of me of the way I handled myself
and thorough questions that I asked :)  I will always remember these words...

Thanks for all the emails
and keeping me in your thoughts
through the next weeks....



17 comments:

Pienosole said...

I continue to think of you and hold you in my heart. Hope you are able to feel some peace as you await the biopsy. I can only imagine your experience. Sending deep breaths and big hugs.

Lori said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you continue your brave and inspiring journey.

Judy said...

One day we are quite fine and the next day-----------
I have the same thoughts as you. If/when I get the bad diagnosis, will I take the treatment?
I have moved you from my General Prayer list, to my VIP Prayer list, if that is any comfort.

Oh--that last sentence sounds stupid--I hope you know what I mean?

Rebecca said...

Thank you for sharing. I will look forward to hearing good results from the test. You are blessed to have such a great note-taker and encourager. So important for these kinds of challenges.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear, dear ((((((Ernestine)))))) Lots of love, hugs and prayers at this time.

FlowerLady

sheila said...

My thoughts are with you and you go through these trials and tests. I don't write often but have kept up with you for years. I'm 80 also. Sending you the best.

Sheila

thewiildmagnola said...

My precious friend!

So sorry you must face this, but I know you can!

Being so independent, and doing a wonderful job!!!

Saying a prayer and thankful for your Jamie.

Sandra Hagan / the wild magnolia!!

joared said...

I do hope all goes well for you and send positive thoughts your way. Quality of life is an important consideration, I think.

PatK said...

Thinking of you and of Winnie the Pooh's words which are ones to live by.

We would all like to be with you but you could not have a better companion for this than you do.

Wisewebwoman said...

May the wind be at your back, my dear. Thinking of you fiercely.

You are a star.

XO
WWW

Tabor said...

You are always in my thoughts, dear heart. Stay strong and lean on those who love you.

Marcie said...

I continue to send much love and good energy. So glad you have so much love and support in your daily life, and here on the internet. You have gathered kindhearted kindred spirits here, Ernestine!

Judy said...

Thinking of you today and wondering.
XX OO

Pienosole said...

Thinking of you and sending hugs. :-)

Val said...

more love your way ♥

Sky said...

ernestine, I think you mean meant multiple myeloma. there is a big difference in what you typed (melanoma) and myeloma. I have a friend who has multiple myeloma and underwent bone marrow testing to determine the conclusive diagnosis. she is in Alaska on a vacation cruise as I type, and when she returns home she will begin a new round of chemotherapy with a different medication. she has had a difficult journey during the past year, but she has done well, has a great attitude and is a very determined woman. we have been out of the loop traveling, so I am only now seeing this for the first time. will read more of your blog now and hope the days are finding you improved. sending you hugs and love.

My Journey To Mindfulness said...

yes, Sky
you are correct
so many errors I make
but guess
everyone knows what I mean :)