Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tea and Oyster Crackers


I am a tea drinker. I love tea. Most mornings I usually have 2 or 3 cups of green tea with my breakfast. Later in the day I will have another variety. I always keep fruit tea in the refrigerator. For me I usually have a 1/2 gallon made and I add orange and pineapple juice to it.
When family is visiting I will make a gallon.

My son introduced me a wonderful tea during Christmas. Part of his gift to me was tea from Teteas in Canada http://www.teteas.com/ You can go on there web site to read about them.
He gave me White Tea - Zen Forest (don't you love that name) and Calming Lavender. I plan on placing an order soon.

With this cold weather I am making a lot of soup and chili. It brought back memories of something I used to make through the years. They are so good and you can almost just eat them alone.

One box of oyster crackers (usually 4 cups)
1 cup of vegetable oil or melted butter (I use butter since I am trying to gain a few lbs.)
1 package Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
Place crackers in a large plastic bag. Slowly pour oil along side of bag. Close and shake well to disperse. I mix the dressing with 1/4 cup lemon pepper - 1 tsp dill and 1/4 tsp garlic powder.
Shake this into bag to disperse seasonings
Spread on a cookie sheet - 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown at 250 degrees - stir about half way through

8 comments:

MsGraysea said...

Happy New year, Ernestine! How nice to learn about new teas. Not being a coffee drinker, and really enjoying tea, I am always on the look-out for new types. Right now my favorite is lemon ginger herbal tea.
One of my co-workers gives all of us a large container of those oyster cracker treats for Christmas each year and I look forward to them so much. They are great with soup.
Sounds like you had a lovely holiday with your family!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

I think that whoever created tea was a saint. Don't you just love it. I discovered white tea a while ago and adore it too. I will check out the tea site. I always tell people to drink organic tea if they can, by the way, because, like coffee, it is one of the most heavily sprayed crops. Best to be good to these bodies of ours, eh? xo

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Marcia and Jan, thank you for your comment. I promise "I am not selling this tea" but it is the best I have tasted. My son knows what is good!! I liked the story about Kevin in Canada.
Occasionally I get a craving for a cup of coffee. When I was growing up I can remember the early morning smell.

Balisha said...

Ohhhh! I love tea. Thankyou for the tip on a new kind to try.It's so relaxing to sip a cup of tea in the afternoon.
Balisha

Beverly said...

I have been making soup too. Two batches of vegetable, plan chili and potato soup soon....
Love your picture of the teas. Your son sounds like such a neat person...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha and Beverly - thanks for visiting. Have a great day.
Suppose to be big snow in my woods tomorrow. Will see!!!

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Hi Ernestine,

I too am a tea drinker. I weaned myself away from coffee a few years ago and have never looked back. I make my own herbal teas, and both a white and black tea mixed with my homegrown lavender and rose petals. IT IS DIVINE!

When buying tea think not only organic, but also fair trade so that the farmers who pick the leaves get livable wages. Swan Sisters Teas are from the Anhui province of China. The two sisters go there and meet the farmers to ensure purity and fairness.

I grew tea for a few years in a garden in Cambria, California, but haven't tried planting it here at my new (old) house. (I recently posted some photos of my tea leaf, herb, and edible flower drying rack).

Oh, and yes, sometimes I too get a craving for the early morning aroma of Grandmother's coffee percolating on the back burner.

A blessing of tea leaves to you,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon, thank you for your comment.
I love your books and images.
Would like to know how you make your "tea". Oh yes, I do miss the smell of the coffee from the old percalator - memories of growing up.