Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Prayer

At a prayer meeting on board a ship headed for London in 1931, where he was traveling to plead the cause of independence for India, Mahatma Gandhi said.

Prayer has saved my life...I had my share of the bitterest public and private experiences. They threw me into temporary despair. If I was able to get rid of that despair it was because of prayer.
It came out of sheer necessity as I found myself in a plight where I could not possibly be happy without it. And as time went on my faith in God increased and more irresistible became the yearning for prayer. Life seemed dull and vacant without it.
In spite of despair staring me in the face I have never lost my peace. That peace comes from prayer. I am indifferent as to the form. Everyone is a law unto himself in that respect. Let everyone try and find that as a result of daily prayer he adds something new to his life.

Although we, like Gandhi, may come to prayer not by choice but by necessity, we often find, with time that we can hardly do without it. Prayer nourishes us so greatly that it seems necessary for our exsistence. I copied this years ago and placed it among my special papers.
Wish they were my words but it is the deepest truth within my heart.
Some thoughts on my journey through life
May 14, 2008 5:15 AM

3 comments:

Tabor said...

Just two weeks ago I watched the movie on Gandhi's life once again. He is such an interesting and strong individual. Thankfully we have good old souls like him helping us find our way.

Beverly said...

Very thoughtful post. I agree with all you added to the wise Gandhi's words.

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Very thoughtful post!